My Migration from iView Media Pro to IDimager v5

News and Announcements
danaltick

Re: My Migration from iView Media Pro to IDimager v5

Post by danaltick » 15 Mar 10 15:33

Brian,

As the kids today would say, "Sweeet!" :).

I will continue to refine and tweak it as I recall more and get feedback from others, but I think the guide covers pretty much the basics of what I did.

Dan

Atrus

Post by Atrus » 18 Mar 10 21:55

Dan,

thanks, your migration guide came right on time for my migration!

Do you have a way to continue using/importing EM2's color labels (photoshop:Urgency) in IDI somehow conveniently? (I only managed to see them in the Details panel which btw. makes it show up the Metadata branch but there are 0 images assiciated with Urgency).

Best,

Roland.

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 19 Mar 10 3:50

Roland,

Can you tell me where the Urgency field is in the Details panel? I don't see it.

This is something that I didn't have to deal with in my migration, but definitely something worth noting. In my case I only had labels in my iView database that corresponded with my star ratings. I didn't have any images with labels like "Unrated", "HDR", "Pano", etc. If I had had labels like that, I probably would have created keywords for those in iView and used those keywords in IDimager to find and re-label the images. I will add this to the migration guide. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

BTW, as you're doing your migration could you please post any problems or oversights I may have in the migration guide. I'm sure there are some. Thanks.

Dan

Atrus

Post by Atrus » 19 Mar 10 9:02

danaltick wrote: Can you tell me where the Urgency field is in the Details panel? I don't see it.
Dan
I had to add the field it to the editor by going into the Schema "Editor Designer" and adding 'photoshop:Urgency'. (As I mentioned, this influences the Metadata branch on the left, but unfortunately not in a useful way to facilitate browsing of urgency values.)

I 'll address your other request later, I am away for the weekend.

Cheers,

Roland.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Mar 10 8:49

Roland,

The Urgency field is not displayed by default because this field is marked as deprecated in the IPTC specifications.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 25 Mar 10 2:52

Roland,

I just added the Urgency field to my Metadata Branch and all my labeled images from iView were listed there with the correct counts. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. I'm going to go ahead and update my iView migration Wiki with this method for porting over labels from iView. BTW, Hert is correct, this is a deprecated field that I have no intention of using now that my migration is complete.

Were you using iView or EM? Maybe there's a difference.

Dan

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 25 Mar 10 4:09

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 25 Mar 10 5:01

Hi Dan,
I just added the Urgency field to my Metadata Branch
How do you do that???
I am trying to make the Title field visible that also apparently has been removed for no good reason whatsoever but no mater how I modify the editor schema for Image details it simply won't show up:
http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13153
:evil:
Frank

PLEASE HERT: Can we have the full functionality of the way how IDI v4 handled metadata back? IDI v5 is a HUGE step backwards when it comes to handling xmp.

[EDIT: I now figured it out. The dc:title field did not show up because the caption in the schema read "Titles", see: http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13153]

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 25 Mar 10 18:31

Frank,
I am trying to make the Title field visible that also apparently has been removed for no good reason whatsoever
It has *not* been removed from the Metadata section; it was never there.
And if you mean the Title field in the Image Details: both the Advanced and Basic schemas contain the Title field...
The dc:title field did not show up because the caption in the schema read "Titles
:?: The caption has nothing to do with it showing up or not; it's just the name of the field (dc:title) that's relevant).

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 25 Mar 10 20:36

Hi Dirk,
It has *not* been removed from the Metadata section; it was never there.
??? No idea what you mean...
The caption has nothing to do with it showing up or not; it's just the name of the field (dc:title) that's relevant)
Well, this is not correct. I just solved the issue by changing the caption. The reason why the field "Title" did not show up in the Metadata branch of the Catalog Explorer is this:

My XMP Schema had the field defined as "dc:title" with the caption "Titles", but the Image Detail Profile had this field as "dc:title" with the caption "Title". I deleted the field from the Detail Profile and added it again, and then the field was suddenly there in the Metadata branch, it magically appeared as "Titles'. Now, all other fields use the singular and I therefore changed the caption in my XMP schema to "Title', again replaced it in the Image Detail Profile, and I now have (like before) the field "Title" in the metadata branch of the catalog explorer.

I agree: whatever the caption says should in theory not matter. It is the definition dc:title that represents this field, the caption should be irrelevant. But I guess IDI gets confused when there is a mismatch.

Frank

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 25 Mar 10 23:48

Frank,
My XMP Schema had the field defined as "dc:title" with the caption "Titles", but the Image Detail Profile had this field as "dc:title" with the caption "Title".
Same here but the field does not show because 'Display in Catalog Explorer' is not switched on. The moment I switch it on the field becomes visible in the Metadata section.
I made no change to the captions...

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 26 Mar 10 2:29

By the way, would someone mind telling me what "Display only" means, as in display only where? Thanks.

Dan

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 26 Mar 10 4:41

Hi Dirk,
hhhmmm, this is strange. I had overlooked this (this "display" may be a new feature in version 5?). On my laptop it is turned on, on my desktop it was turned off. Then, on the laptop, I noticed that the field is only not displayed in the schemas "Advanced" and "Basic" that come with IDI 5, not my own ones.
And: you are right. Which caption they do have (Title or Titles) does not matter...

Dan - "display only" has nothing to do with what is displayed where. It means that these fields will only be displayed in Image Details, but you can not enter any data. For quite a few technical fields it makes sense to be able to protect them against erroneous data entry.

Cheers,
Frank

danaltick

Post by danaltick » 26 Mar 10 16:48

Thanks Frank. Makes sense.

Dan

Atrus

Post by Atrus » 20 Apr 10 20:36

danaltick wrote: I just added the Urgency field to my Metadata Branch and all my labeled images from iView were listed there with the correct counts. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. I'm going to go ahead and update my iView migration Wiki with this method for porting over labels from iView. BTW, Hert is correct, this is a deprecated field that I have no intention of using now that my migration is complete.
Dear Dan, everyone,

just to finish this up: my counts for Urgency values were wrong until I ran the script "Import Meta for Selected Thumbnails". So it seems XMP and IPTC were out of sync from my previous software.

Thanks for adding "Urgency" to your migration guide (even if people will just use it once as the value is deprecated).

Best,

Roland.