Image loading file size limit

MikeNaylor

Image loading file size limit

Post by MikeNaylor » 06 Dec 17 11:18

I have a few TIF and PSD files larger than 1GB and noticed than one of the PSDs wasn't getting a thumbnail. At least that's what I first thought. I tried adjusting "Image loading file size limit" from 400MB to the maximum setting of 999MB and, after some considerable time, the thumb appeared.

On reflection, and during a PSU Backup which was taking well over 15 minutes, I figured the thumbs.db file was probably so large because of this. So, I reverted back to 400MB and rebuilt all thumbnails for files bigger than 400MB. All but the one PSD has rendered, but the folder name is flashing. The Mac CPU activity is hovering around 200%, so I guess it will get there eventually.

While I wait, I wonder if anyone can help me better understand what's happening here.

Hert

Re: Image loading file size limit

Post by Hert » 06 Dec 17 11:47

The File Size Limit is only for loading the file. PSU won't even try loading the full image is the file size is above that limit. Also see the Tip for that field.

This setting has no impact on your database size. Instead compact your database regularly (Tools->Catalog). That will reduce the database size and bring performance
FileSizeLimit.png
FileSizeLimit.png (86.88 KiB) Viewed 241 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 06 Dec 17 12:52

Hert, there's a lot of ambiguity in that tool tip. However, here's and update...

After over an hour the updated thumb appeared and the CPU activity dropped to 0%. After restarting PSU, I then Compacted the Current Catalog (which took only a minute or so) an then performed a full Backup (which took 10 minutes!).

All this on an iMac with 4GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM and a 3TB Fusion disk drive.

Despite spinning balls, loosing focus and performance issues, I'm getting to like what PSU offers. I'm putting my faith in Hert, hoping that Version 4 will be coded in Swift 4 (which I believe is able to generate native calls and execution code for Mac and Windows).

I hope this doesn't sound as though I'm knocking PSU. Quite the opposite, because I think posts and responses like this can assist other newcomers.

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Dec 17 16:34

A suggestion for better phrasing of the tip is more than welcome!
Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 06 Dec 17 18:57

Hert wrote:
06 Dec 17 16:34
A suggestion for better phrasing of the tip is more than welcome!
How about...

Maximum File Size

This option defines the maximum size for images that you want Photo Supreme to process thumbnails for. If Photo Supreme encounters a file that is larger than this size, it will not generate its own thumbnail, even if its one of the supported formats. Such images will still acquire thumbnails, but they will be supplied by your computer's operating system instead.

TIP: none of the above will effect any of the cataloging operations, such as labels, ratings, bookmarks, and so on.

(I've tried to maintain your writing style the best I can)

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Dec 17 20:22

Thank you. It reads very smooth like this. Much better.