launch exiftoolGUI from within PSU

fbungarz

launch exiftoolGUI from within PSU

Post by fbungarz » 31 Mar 18 1:14

Hi all,
this is only indirectly related to PSU, but I thought I still ask the question. Perhaps someone has an answer...

For years I have been using ExifToolGUI. It was extremely convenient to launch the tool directly from within PSU just by adding it as an external application.
For some reason since one of the most recent Windows 10 updates ExifToolGUI no longer runs if not executed as an administrator :evil:
Although I have found a way to configure the shortcut to launches the program as administrator per default unfortunately this does not work, when I launch if from within PSU.
This is very extremely annoying. It used to be that I highlight a thumb and simply hit the ExifTool icon in PSU and the tool would show me the metadata for that file directly in ExifTool. Now I first need to locate where the file is in WindowsExplorer, then start ExifTool via the shortcut and navigate to that location.

I really hate Windows for always introducing these added layers of "pseudo-security". They are not any more secure but only make life miserable :cry:
I know that various people here are using ExifToolGui. Any advice?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank

fbungarz

Re: launch exiftoolGUI from within PSU

Post by fbungarz » 31 Mar 18 1:22

PS: I know that under Compatibility there is an option to run any program per default as an administrator. Unfortunately, when I enable that option, Windows comes up with a prompt still asking me every time if I really want to do it. Yes, of course, else I would not have configured it that way (doooh!).
:roll:
But - launching it from within PSU I get an error "Failed to execute: 740 (0)"...
:?

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 31 Mar 18 1:41

I don't have ExifToolGui as an external application to PSU, but have run into similar issues when running ExifToolGui on Windows 10.

Are you running the latest version of ExifTool?

Where is ExifTool.exe located? In the ExifToolGui folder or C:\WINDOWS?
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 31 Mar 18 4:30

Are you running the latest version of ExifTool?
Yes.
Where is ExifTool.exe located? In the ExifToolGui folder or C:\WINDOWS?
C:\ExifTool\

It works perfect on Windows, if the option to always run it as administrator is enabled or if the shortcut is configured to run it as administrator.
BUT that is not my problem. The problem is calling it from within PSu.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 31 Mar 18 15:22

fbungarz wrote:
31 Mar 18 4:30
BUT that is not my problem. The problem is calling it from within PSu.
Understood.
fbungarz wrote:
31 Mar 18 1:22
But - launching it from within PSU I get an error "Failed to execute: 740 (0)"...
Confirmed ... and it is because of the elevated Admin privileges.

I elevated one of my other external applications and received the same error.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 01 Apr 18 14:53

FWIW, I'm running Windows 10 Home and PSU 4 and I have a shortcut to ExifToolGUI in PSU that I put there long ago (in a previous version of PSU) but haven't used in ages. I tried it just now and it worked flawlessly. I'm using version 3.38 of ExifToolGUI and version 9.75 of ExifTool.
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Apr 18 18:13

If you configured Exiftool to run as admin then that won’t be possible to start from within PSU for the simple reason that PSU has lower rights. Maybe it helps if you then also configure PSU to be ran as administrator. Haven’t tried it here
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 01 Apr 18 23:55

Hert wrote:
01 Apr 18 18:13
Maybe it helps if you then also configure PSU to be ran as administrator.
That works.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 03 Apr 18 21:31

FWIW, I'm running Windows 10 Home and PSU 4 and I have a shortcut to ExifToolGUI in PSU that I put there long ago (in a previous version of PSU) but haven't used in ages. I tried it just now and it worked flawlessly. I'm using version 3.38 of ExifToolGUI and version 9.75 of ExifTool.
Well, I am running Windows 10 Professional, perhaps that is the difference..
Maybe it helps if you then also configure PSU to be ran as administrator.
Great - that works indeed!

Bit of a nuisance, but better than not being able to use it at all anymore. And definitely not PSu's fault! So annoying that Windows is becoming so paranoid that one can specifically configure a program to be run as an administrator and still gets a warning, whether one really wants to run it...
Ah, well.
Thanks !!!

Frank