Way to Store Data Other Than XMP?

Rcarlson

Way to Store Data Other Than XMP?

Post by Rcarlson » 06 Mar 18 17:46

Hello,

I'm looking into this software for a company I work for, right now testing single edition and will be testing a server edition shortly. So far I love the program! The only thing that I can see that is a bit worrisome is that with every photo cataloged, it creates an XMP file next to it with the data.

Now the majority of photo searchers with the company will be getting a copy of this license but on occasion, team members will need to just go and browse file explorer for images (if they only need to look for a photo once or twice a week its hard to pitch for them to get a license as well).

So my question comes down to, is there any other way I can tell PSU to store the data other than an extra XMP file? Can data be stored along with the image its self?

Mke

Re: Way to Store Data Other Than XMP?

Post by Mke » 06 Mar 18 20:59

It can optionally be stored within the images. You need to enable this configuration option:

Preferences -> Synchronize settings -> Write settings ->Allow embedded meta writing for RAW files

Beware that there are a camp of photographers who would never enable this for risk that it may corrupt an image, and another that would only embed it in the images (including me), for reasons such as yours.

Rcarlson

Post by Rcarlson » 06 Mar 18 21:19

That is perfect! Thank you so much! I will have to give this a try. I had a feeling there had to be an option like this somewhere but could never find it.
I'll switch to using this and try out more testing and see if I notice anything corrupting.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 07 Mar 18 14:02

Another way is to export the metadata team members would typically use to search for images.

To export: right click on images, Metadata, Export Metadata to CSV File. Choose the metadata. The first column automatically contains the path and file name.

Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet program.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 07 Mar 18 14:46

Amplifying Mke's answer: if the image files are jpeg or tiff, PSu will write metadata as an XMP block within the file itself unless the read-only attribute is set, in which case a separate XMP file is used. If the files are in Canon or Nikon RAW formats then embedded meta writing can be enabled, as stated by Mke, but is disabled by default. PSu cannot write to other RAW formats.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win7x64)

jvmastbe

Post by jvmastbe » 02 Apr 18 9:57

A related question: I have just reconfigured PSU v3 to not write metadata to the image files anymore. There are no out of sync files in my catalog, so a sync does nothing. How do I force creation of XMP files in that case?

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Apr 18 11:08

Right click on the thumbnail, then select Metadata -> Save metadata to file. That will write out metadata to the file (or sidecar file where appropriate) using your sync settings.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system