PhotoSupreme V4 Folder import Problem/freeze

artphotopro

PhotoSupreme V4 Folder import Problem/freeze

Post by artphotopro » 08 Feb 18 11:23

Hello All,
Not sure if this is a freeze/problem, I am having to import my folders again due to a pc brake down, I have installed the trial of V4,
The folders I am importing have 8000+ images in grouped sub folders, images are not being moved just added to database.
I started the import 2hrs ago and the PSv4 shows the states(lastimport) tab and also the sync tab in the lower felt,
but PS v4 has not changed e.g sync moving or thumbnails updating, The task manager shows 0% cpu but the memory is slowly droping from over 200mb down to 0.7mb,
Can any one tell me if PSv4 has frozen / died or is their a problem with the number of folders/images I am importing ?

I hope this is not a problem as I still have 100000s of images to import again.

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this.

Regards
Chris

Hert

Re: PhotoSupreme V4 Folder import Problem/freeze

Post by Hert » 08 Feb 18 11:28

Hi Chris,
Check in the Folders section in the catalog bar if the images are there. Are they? If so, you can continue the next import.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 08 Feb 18 11:38

Hello Hert,
Thank you for the quick reply, when i just tried to click any where in PS v4 it have now grayed over and says not responding in the top bar.
I have attached a screen grab if that helps.
Regards
Chris
Attachments
PSV4 freeze.jpg
PSV4 freeze.jpg (323.05 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 08 Feb 18 11:41

Oke, It's probably busy, but kill that process.
After starting up again, go to States -> Out of sync images

There select all and press Ctrl+Alt+S to import the metadata again. Then either wait for it to finish (for instance if your images are on a network drive you may want to balance network traffic) and press Ctrl+Alt+T to rebuild the thumbnails.

These are the two processes that we killed by killing the process.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 08 Feb 18 12:37

Hello Herts,
I will give that a go, just have to wait for the 16000 odd files to sync first and will get back to you when I start my next import, is it possible to do an import with out thumbnail gen and just do it on access.
Regards
Chris

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 08 Feb 18 17:47

Hello Hert<
I went to close PSv4 via stopping the sync proccess with the X in the lower left corner and I got and error message, I do not know what it means so I have attached an screen grab of it, I had to close the error box 4x before I could exit PSv4, could you shed any light on this issue please.
I will check back in the morning.
Sorry if this should be a new thread.
Regards
Chris
Attachments
Error on close of proccess psv4.jpg
Error on close of proccess psv4.jpg (510.75 KiB) Viewed 1485 times

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 02 Mar 18 11:34

Hello Hert,
I am 24 days into the 30 day trial, I still have 30-40,000 thumbnails still too build, and I am still getting constant freezes during the build operation, If I wait abut 10-15mins the program will freeze, I then have to force close and reload PS4.

Here is a rough brake down of my system :
2x ssd 500gb, os on one and ps4 db on the other.
2x 3tb hdd with images spread across both drives.
progs that are always running, PS4,Emial client, Affinity Photo,word and execl, acrobat pro,3x browsers, carbon client, genie timeline backup(too 15tb NAS)

8gb ram
quad core intel 2.5ghz
PS4 db:1.6gb, thumbs:16.1gb
windows 10 x64
my current system has yet too hit 100% cpu or ram, when PS4 freezes it is using 0%cpu and very little ram.

Is there any thing I can do to improve PS4 stability, can I run anything my end which may help you diagnose what the problem/s are that making importing/thumb build such a problem.

I have used your software for a few years now and have had different pc configs in that time and this has always been a problem for me, I love using PS4 even with these problems as it is currently the most flexible "DAM" for my needs.

I look forward too your reply on this matter.
Regards
Chris

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Mar 18 11:53

Chris, yesterday build 1043 was released to address such issues. You can install it from the website (a web update trigger will be issued later today). I have received positive feedback from someone who mentioned the same issues that you mention so I hope you get similar results.

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 02 Mar 18 12:15

Hello Hert,
I will download now and see what happens,
Thank you for the reply.
Regards
Chris

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 02 Mar 18 13:00

Hello Hert,
I have updated too 4.0.1.1043 (x64) from the website, installed and loaded, still got a freeze after 10 mins, I have rebooted now and will run cat comp and see what happens when I run the thumb gen again.
I have attached a image with some task manager (before upgrade) details not sure if this info will help.
Regards
chirs
Attachments
PS4 Freeze 02-03-2018.jpg
PS4 Freeze 02-03-2018.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1254 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Mar 18 13:05

Hmmm.. it was processing a TIF file. Is it always stalling on that particular TIF (DSCS0006.TIF)? If so, can you lookup that TIF file and update the thumb manually with Ctrl+Alt+T. If that too fails, then I'm curious if there's maybe something different with that TIF.

Also, if that's a BIG tif file then give it some time to process it. Windows has a very poor Ghosting implementation, when it states that a process is not responding then it means that the front end is not processing Windows messages...which may well be the case if it's doing something that takes a while. So conclude that it is stalled if the processor usage is fixed at 0%

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 02 Mar 18 13:17

Hi Hert,
I did not know that about ghosting, Over the course of the last 10 days it has frozen on tiff,psd,jpeg,jpg.
My files range from 10 year old to current day, tiff files with and with out lzw, all jpeg are level 12 with standard compression.
I have left PS4 running while frozen for over an hour to see if it was just a big file, I do have file over 1.2gb but not many (Large Format Production images) most images inc tiff and psd are no larger then 50mb as a rule.
If it gets stuck again I could send you the file but I would need to send it via a private link not public.
Regards
Chris

Username

Post by Username » 06 Mar 18 0:52

For me PS freezes if I select a folder, state or timeline set etc with 6000 objects in it.
I can select everything with 4400 and lower but if I touch something that 6000 or more that PS need to collect and display it goes into a freeze directly.

I can see on your first attached image that your selection for previous imports is 8000 images.
That would freeze mine as well.
- I'm the user

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 09 Mar 18 14:39

Hello Username,
Yes I have run into that problem, which is why it has taken me sooooooo long to import my work due to having to work onfolder at a time and filtering the image type to allow for importing. I have almost finished this database and have to start on my other three.
Regards
Chris

artphotopro

Post by artphotopro » 09 Mar 18 14:43

Hello Hert,
My main import for my main database is now about finished I have three more to do, I would like to but PS4 upgrade for my other 2 pc's, since I have now missed the discount that was available due to testing PS4 and my trial 30 has now finished, is it possible you could send me a discount code so I can Make a purchase.
I would also like to ask how PS4 handles corrupt files as I have now encountered 5 corrupt files and PS4 have froze on all. (files were a mix of .cr2,tif,jpg)
Regards
Chris