labels and rating doesn't follow copied image

vkfoto

labels and rating doesn't follow copied image

Post by vkfoto » 20 Nov 17 4:55

After I have applied labels and ratings to a set of images, I will sometimes copy a subset to another folder. That makes them easier to select in other programs that don't see all the images in multiple sub-folders at the same time. However the labels and the star ratings that were applied to the originals don't appear in the copies. The copying was done within PSu. Did I forget a step or two or is this how it is supposed to work?

Hert

Re: labels and rating doesn't follow copied image

Post by Hert » 20 Nov 17 8:58

How did you copy in PSU?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 20 Nov 17 13:25

Hert wrote:
20 Nov 17 8:58
How did you copy in PSU?
and also, what are your synchronisation settings?
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win7x64)

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 21 Nov 17 2:02

Hert wrote:
How did you copy in PSU?
Selected the images in the source folder RMC Copy, navigated to the target folder, RMC Paste to this Folder

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 21 Nov 17 2:06

jstartin wrote:
20 Nov 17 13:25
Hert wrote:
How did you copy in PSU?
and also, what are your synchronization settings?
Write:
Write catalog data to IDImager ICS scheme
replace keywords with catalog labels
Include all parent level labels as keywords
Write hierarchical keywords

Read
Merge keywords with existing catalog labels
Read hierarchical keywords (if available)

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 21 Nov 17 2:26

I tried it again as above, no labels or ratings.
Verified the target folder, no change
Saved metadata to file for all out of sync images in the target folder, the ratings were applied but no labels.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 21 Nov 17 3:03

vkfoto - Under Preferences - Synchronize Settings, do you have "Automatically write out Catalog changes to the image file" enabled? Thus, during your workflow you are writing changes to either the image file or a sidecar file? If so, after the Paste to this Folder, select the files, and right-click and choose Metadata - Read Metadata from File. That worked here.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 21 Nov 17 4:01

I don't have Automatically write out Catalog changes to the image file" enabled, I do the sync manually so it is done when I'm not busy working.
Ah, I think I see where this is going. Where will it read the Metadata from? The images have been copied to another folder, same image, two separate folders. Does it know that the same file exists in another folder and so gets the missing metadata from the original folder? How does it know which is the original with the good metadata?
I tried the reading but no metadata (labels) was applied.
Is there another way to create a duplicate image while keeping any applied labels?

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 21 Nov 17 13:31

Before you copy your images, right-click and choose Metadata - Save Metadata to File.
vkfoto wrote:
21 Nov 17 4:01
Where will it read the Metadata from?
Your files.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 22 Nov 17 0:21

sanphotgn wrote:
21 Nov 17 13:31
Before you copy your images, right-click and choose Metadata - Save Metadata to File.
vkfoto wrote:
21 Nov 17 4:01
Where will it read the Metadata from?
Your files.
Is the RMC Metadata - Save Metadata to file not the same as Tools - save Metadata to file for all Out-of-Sync Images?

Anyway, after Deleting the existing copies, from within PSu, Then Selected some of the images in the original folder, right clicked and save the metadata to file. Then, still selected, I Copied them. After navigated to the target folder I pasted them. Not ratings or labels. Selected them all, right clicked and Read Metadata from file. All the ratings and labels were applied except for the JPG files. By design?

Well that was rather easy, after all. Thanks for all the help.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 22 Nov 17 2:03

vkfoto wrote:
22 Nov 17 0:21
Is the RMC Metadata - Save Metadata to file not the same as Tools - save Metadata to file for all Out-of-Sync Images?
It could very well be. In my way of thinking - by selecting and using Save Metadata to File - the user is being specific - thus the user has more control, and the process should be quicker.
vkfoto wrote:
22 Nov 17 0:21
All the ratings and labels were applied except for the JPG files. By design?
Are your JPG files versions of the RAW files?

Here: everything applied to the JPG files, but they weren't versions of RAW files.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 22 Nov 17 4:32

sanphotgn wrote:
22 Nov 17 2:03

Here: everything applied to the JPG files, but they weren't versions of RAW files.
No, they are files from my phone. There were only 7 so I did them manually.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 22 Nov 17 15:44

vkfoto wrote:
22 Nov 17 4:32
No, they are files from my phone. There were only 7 so I did them manually.
See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24439. This could be the reason why the files from the phone had to be done manually. Note the solution (which I would perform immediately after import). Note jstartin's one caution.

If I was to test this, I would create a few new images from the phone. Make copies. Import one set of the copies and during import, rename them. After import - Select Metadata -> Convert Metadata to XMP. Then ratings, labels, some metadata. Perform the copy and paste routine as discussed in this thread. If everything works, good. I would import the second set of copies - do not rename - and compare metadata to see if anything was lost that is important.