Server Edition and Single User

RobiWan

Server Edition and Single User

Post by RobiWan » 03 Nov 17 19:01

Hello,

I'm new to Photo Supreme and I will create my own workflow - how I can best work with

My idea is to buy a Server version, that I can work with PSU at home from my Desktop(s) PC's (I'm only one user but I have different PC's). Now when I go traveling, I take my laptop with me and the photos I take will give them stars rating and keywords. For this I can but the single User version.

But the big question is - when I'm at home again, how I can always import my single user catalog from laptop into my server catalog?

/I knot there is a thread about Travel Mode. But this is to complicated for me - catalog backup, restore, travel mode and again backup........ There are to much manual steps I think./

Can this work with server and Single User edition?

Cheers

fbungarz

Re: Server Edition and Single User

Post by fbungarz » 09 Nov 17 23:42

I presume this may perhaps work only if you only use the server version and do not switch. I doubt you can open the sever version of catalog with the standalone version and vice versa. AFAIK - the standalone uses SQLite and the server version hooks up to various different SQL backends, MySQL, PostGre etc. Hooking up SQLite to all these different ones, I doubt that works without glitches...
Now, there might be an alternative. As a workaround you might be able to use WAMPSERVER. It simulates a server on your laptop. Not sure though if anyone has actually tried this...

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 12 Nov 17 14:47

I believe you don't have understand my intention. I will work on my laptop with standalone version (SQLITE) and at home with server version (PostgreSQL).
I will don't open server catalog on my laptop or my sqlite Database on server. What I need and asked was - on server import my standalone database after I'm back at home.

I will test this workflow at the end this month.

Mke

Post by Mke » 15 Nov 17 15:40

RobiWan wrote:
03 Nov 17 19:01
But the big question is - when I'm at home again, how I can always import my single user catalog from laptop into my server catalog?
I would suggest not to do that. Instead configure Photo Supreme to write your work to either sidecar files or direct to the images (according to you preference) - not just to the database - then when you return home just import the files (with sidecars if used) into your Server version.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 17 Nov 17 23:47

Yes, I did understand that question exactly and suggested this was not possible simply because SQlite and PostgreSQL are two different database formats. Therefore I suggested a possible workaround: instead of installing the SQlite version on your laptop (and having to purchase a separate license to do so), why not simply install WAMP and run the PostgreSQL database on the laptop as well (using the laptop as its own server). This way, when you are back from traveling you simply have to switch the PostgresSQL database from your laptop over to the server accessed from your desktops.

What Mike points out is an alternative that may work too: using your images to store the data as XMP and then synchronize that info back to your server database. Several obvious disadvantages: the server database will not be aware to which particular images you applied the changes. Also, it requires that you take the actual images on the road with you when you travel. This defies the purpose of using PSUs travel mode.

My suggestion:

(1) at home use the PostgreSQL on your server
(2) when you travel, make a backup from your desktop, restore the backup onto your WAMP installation on your laptop
(3) work on the laptop, no need to have access to your images, they will be marked "out-of-sync"
(4) upon return, make a backup from your laptop and restore it to the desktop server
(5) from the desktop sync the changes to your images that you made while traveling.

Voilá.

Mke

Post by Mke » 18 Nov 17 11:38

fbungarz wrote:
17 Nov 17 23:47
What Mike points out is an alternative that may work too: using your images to store the data as XMP and then synchronize that info back to your server database. Several obvious disadvantages: the server database will not be aware to which particular images you applied the changes. Also, it requires that you take the actual images on the road with you when you travel. This defies the purpose of using PSUs travel mode.
Quite right - certainly not so good if you're planning to work on existing images on the road. But not a problem if you only use the laptop for newly shot images, as seems to be indicated in the question.