Changing time zone in headline

Stephen

Changing time zone in headline

Post by Stephen » 27 Oct 17 19:47

Maybe I’m not thinking correctly or it’s just jet lag. I have a series of photos from a body whose time zone was not corrected.

My filing scheme is set to rename the files using the date and time shot, which can involve a date change if set incorrectly.

I’ve imported them into PSu and in the Details panel, I have corrected the “Date and Time Original” & “Date and Time Digitized”. Now I want to change the headline & document title by using that new data.

I use the format:
20171023-213655-7368
whereby the first block is yyymmdd and the second is hhmmss
the last being the last 4 digits of the file number

So basically I just need to remove 6 hours from the second block.

It must be easy, but as I said, I’m tired and have forgotten how to do it.

Thanks
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2604. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

sanphotgn

Re: Changing time zone in headline

Post by sanphotgn » 28 Oct 17 2:08

If your Date and Time Digitized field has already been corrected, try this:

Code: Select all

%exif:DateTimeDigitized{dateformat=yyyymmdd-hhmmss}
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 28 Oct 17 19:42

Thanks, this put me on the right track and in a 4 stage process I thought that I had solved it. I then found that all files now had the same time. Back to stage one. Delete from PSu, reimport and try again.

I will try importing with the original file name and then changing the timezone. Afterwards I can rename to my scheme.

Feedback for anybody who is interested:
I re-imported original files without changing file name. I then used PSu to change dates on a single file. I found it better to use 'shift the date' feature and merely change the time, rather than using the change time zone feature. It worked and correctly changed the time everywhere, including the description date. However, when I marked and changed the whole group of files, everything changed correctly except the description date. I have learned that this field can bring problems later down the line, so this method was also not perfect :-(

It can be challenging working in different time zones with multiple camera bodies if one is not set correctly :evil:

I'm open to any suggestions on improving this. Maybe redating the originals before import. As some shots were in the evening the incorrect time zone dated them to the following day, further complicating matters...
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2604. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 31 Oct 17 2:14

It's not an approach that will suit everyone but personally I leave all my camera bodies on GMT, all of the time. I don't change for daylight saving time and I don't change for time zone. Before I started doing this I was forever changing timezone halfway through a holiday (for example) and it caused me no end of headaches a few weeks or months afterwards trying to figure out what had happened and at which point I had changed. I also adopted your excellent suggestion in a previous thread of photographing a watch or clock showing local time.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 31 Oct 17 14:55

PS: When you say "I found it better to use 'shift the date' feature ... rather than using the change time zone feature" could you expand on why you found this better please?

The reason I ask is that to adjust for camera clock drift up to now I have simply applied an offset in the geotagging dialogue (as I am not generally too bothered about having correct time on the pictures themselves); but it strikes me that correcting the time on the images first and then geotagging might be an easier approach!
Snowman1

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 17 17:39

snowman1 wrote:
31 Oct 17 2:14
I also adopted your excellent suggestion in a previous thread of photographing a watch or clock showing local time.
Thanks for the compliment, which naturally only works if you remember to do it, which this time I didn't :-( AND, if you do remember to do it, you will probably also have remembered to change the camera time. Ditto :-(

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 17 18:00

snowman1 wrote:
31 Oct 17 14:55
PS: When you say "I found it better to use 'shift the date' feature ... rather than using the change time zone feature" could you expand on why you found this better please?

The reason I ask is that to adjust for camera clock drift up to now I have simply applied an offset in the geotagging dialogue (as I am not generally too bothered about having correct time on the pictures themselves); but it strikes me that correcting the time on the images first and then geotagging might be an easier approach!
Photo SupremeScreenSnapz173.jpg
Photo SupremeScreenSnapz173.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 371 times
I have enclosed a screenshot of the pop-up window for others following this thread.

I was using 2 bodies and needed to get the images into chronological order. My renaming scheme on import allows that quite easily yyyymmdd-hhmmss-1234*.* but works only if the clocks have been set correctly.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't make notes of all the steps. From what I remember, merely changing the time zone in the pop-up box didn't change the description date, which I have learned is important. Changing the hours did though. I then had a lengthy process. Once I had got the description date right (and formatted correcting by using sanphotgn's tip above), I could change the headline by inserting the description date from the document title.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 31 Oct 17 18:05

Cool, thanks for that info.
if you do remember to do it, you will probably also have remembered to change the camera time.
The beauty of using your suggestion in combination with mine is that it doesn't really matter when you photograph the clock, as long as it's within the trip, it will capture both clock drift and local time perfectly adequately. Even if I forget altogether, doing it a few weeks later will still capture camera drift accurately enough, and I'll know by how much the local time differed from my home time zone. As long as I don't change the camera half way through the trip - and that includes for clock drift - then I'm fine.

[My timezone confession: many decades ago, I went on holiday later than I normally did. We booked a day out, turned up at 7am at the rendezvous point and waited... and waited. The coach never appeared. Cursing that country for it's lack of punctuality we trudged back to the apartment. Fortunately I realised - at about 7:55 - that the clocks had gone back a week earlier. We hot-footed it back to the coach stop and of course the coach appeared spot on time :-D The most galling thing was realising we'd been getting up an hour earlier than we had to for the past week :-o :oops: !! ]
Snowman1

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 17 19:51

Before somebody asks why one would want to put a date into the Headline field, after all, that is supposed to say "Man jumping off Golden Gate bridge" or similar.

I use that field differently. In my system, file name, document title and headline start off being identical. That allows more chances for different software to find the file. Later I can change them if required.