DNG support

davidzvi

DNG support

Post by davidzvi » 26 Oct 17 16:06

Does Photo Supreme support Lossy compressed DNGs or only Lossless? Just trying to confirm.

I can see the previews of my Lossless files, but not my Lossy ones. I have a bunch of older files I converted years ago and it seems some I did one way and other another. I know I didn't embed the original in any, and no idea what preiew setting I would have used either if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Hondor

Re: DNG support

Post by Hondor » 28 Oct 17 11:56

PSU supports al kinds of DNG lossy as well as lossless.

All DNG's embed a JPG within, which can be updated and which is, what PSU is showing.

I use exclusively DNG, and my DNG's from scanned film are lossy - they work just as well as my lossless DNGS from my digital cameras.
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

Mke

Post by Mke » 30 Oct 17 1:05

Hondor wrote:
28 Oct 17 11:56
It doesn't support the DNG files from my Android phone - though since I use the phone to take JPGs and DNGs together, I can version them and view the JPGs.

Hondor

Post by Hondor » 02 Dec 17 9:27

Mke wrote:
30 Oct 17 1:05
Hondor wrote:
28 Oct 17 11:56
It doesn't support the DNG files from my Android phone - though since I use the phone to take JPGs and DNGs together, I can version them and view the JPGs.
Odd, but please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture, or do you mean that you cannot see your adjustments?

As I understand things (probably wrongly), then all RAW-like formats embed a JPG preview. For some external adjustment programs such as Lightroom, PSu can interpret the external adjustments, for others not. In the latter case, I'd suppose, that the RAW-preview remained unaffected, so you'd need a separate JPG to keep track of the adjustments. My reason for workiing in DNG is largely to be able to update the embedded JPG, so I only need the one file to work with and export from.

Mke

Post by Mke » 02 Dec 17 21:06

Hondor wrote:
02 Dec 17 9:27
please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture
Yes, that - Android DNGs are solid black.

Hondor

Post by Hondor » 11 Dec 17 17:51

Mke wrote:
02 Dec 17 21:06
Hondor wrote:
02 Dec 17 9:27
please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture
Yes, that - Android DNGs are solid black.
Very odd - If you are interested, I'd gladly look at one of your DNG's on my system to reproduce. Will you post a link to a file here?

Mke

Post by Mke » 12 Dec 17 13:13

Hondor wrote:
11 Dec 17 17:51
Will you post a link to a file here?
Well thery're not mine, but there's a sample gallery of Android DNGs at https://www.camerafv5.com/pages/raw-samples.php that exhibit the same problem.

Hondor

Post by Hondor » 14 Dec 17 20:45

Mke wrote:
12 Dec 17 13:13
Well thery're not mine, but there's a sample gallery of Android DNGs at https://www.camerafv5.com/pages/raw-samples.php that exhibit the same problem.
Thanks - I've been playing around with one of those.

I can reproduce the blackness and failure to open the DNG in PSu as well as in Fast Picture Viewer and in the old Windows Photo Viewer (which i prefer over the new Windows 10 Photos App). The only application able to view the DNG on my system, oddly enough, was W10's Photos App.

There seems to be something "wrong" with the embedded JPEGs in Android's DNGs when taken straight out of the phone, because all it took to make things work as expected was one import into Lightroom and an update therein of the JPG preview, then everything was perfectly viewable in all tested apps - including, of course, Photo Supreme.

Unfortunately, Lightroom seems to be the only Raw Processor around that supports DNGs with updates of their embedded JPEGs.