DNG support

Post Reply
davidzvi
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Oct 17 15:57

DNG support

Post by davidzvi » 26 Oct 17 16:06

Does Photo Supreme support Lossy compressed DNGs or only Lossless? Just trying to confirm.

I can see the previews of my Lossless files, but not my Lossy ones. I have a bunch of older files I converted years ago and it seems some I did one way and other another. I know I didn't embed the original in any, and no idea what preiew setting I would have used either if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Hondor
Posts: 80
Joined: 05 Jul 14 15:52

Re: DNG support

Post by Hondor » 28 Oct 17 11:56

PSU supports al kinds of DNG lossy as well as lossless.

All DNG's embed a JPG within, which can be updated and which is, what PSU is showing.

I use exclusively DNG, and my DNG's from scanned film are lossy - they work just as well as my lossless DNGS from my digital cameras.
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

Mke
Posts: 272
Joined: 15 Jun 14 15:39

Re: DNG support

Post by Mke » 30 Oct 17 1:05

Hondor wrote:
28 Oct 17 11:56
PSU supports al kinds of DNG lossy as well as lossless.
It doesn't support the DNG files from my Android phone - though since I use the phone to take JPGs and DNGs together, I can version them and view the JPGs.

Hondor
Posts: 80
Joined: 05 Jul 14 15:52

Re: DNG support

Post by Hondor » 02 Dec 17 9:27

Mke wrote:
30 Oct 17 1:05
Hondor wrote:
28 Oct 17 11:56
PSU supports al kinds of DNG lossy as well as lossless.
It doesn't support the DNG files from my Android phone - though since I use the phone to take JPGs and DNGs together, I can version them and view the JPGs.
Odd, but please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture, or do you mean that you cannot see your adjustments?

As I understand things (probably wrongly), then all RAW-like formats embed a JPG preview. For some external adjustment programs such as Lightroom, PSu can interpret the external adjustments, for others not. In the latter case, I'd suppose, that the RAW-preview remained unaffected, so you'd need a separate JPG to keep track of the adjustments. My reason for workiing in DNG is largely to be able to update the embedded JPG, so I only need the one file to work with and export from.
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

Mke
Posts: 272
Joined: 15 Jun 14 15:39

Re: DNG support

Post by Mke » 02 Dec 17 21:06

Hondor wrote:
02 Dec 17 9:27
please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture
Yes, that - Android DNGs are solid black.

Hondor
Posts: 80
Joined: 05 Jul 14 15:52

Re: DNG support

Post by Hondor » 11 Dec 17 17:51

Mke wrote:
02 Dec 17 21:06
Hondor wrote:
02 Dec 17 9:27
please define, what you consider "non-support". Do you mean that you cannot see your file as a picture
Yes, that - Android DNGs are solid black.
Very odd - If you are interested, I'd gladly look at one of your DNG's on my system to reproduce. Will you post a link to a file here?
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

Post Reply