How to use DataExchange tool properly?

gcurrie

How to use DataExchange tool properly?

Post by gcurrie » 10 Aug 17 22:03

I'm migrating a SQL Server Express 2012 based install (client/server) to a PostgreSQL 9.6 install (client/server).

It appears the PhotoSupremeDataExchange tool will somehow convert the database. However, I have not found any documentation.

Obviously I already have the photosupreme database on SQL Server as the Source. It looks like I need to install PhotoSupreme PostgreSQL on a client, create the initial database, and then use THAT as the Target.

Or does the migration tool create the target database?
Gordon Currie
Photo Supreme SQL Server 2012 on Windows Home Server 2011

gcurrie

Re: How to use DataExchange tool properly?

Post by gcurrie » 10 Aug 17 22:27

I went ahead and installed PhotoSupreme PostgreSQL, created an initial database (catalog) on the server called photosupreme (default behavior).

However, PhotoSupreme prompted me to select the version of PostgreSQL. The choices only went as high as 9.5, which I selected. My server install is 9.6.4. Now when running the data migration tool, I select Source and target and click OK. I immediately get a dialog that says:

'Please make sure you run this tool against identical database version numbers. Please install the latest version of the application for both database systems and run each at least once to make sure that the database is upgraded to the latest version.'

I'm unsure what that means, and if it is an error. Do I need to remove PostgreSQL 9.6.4 and try and find 9.5??? And when the tool finally works, is there any indication?
Gordon Currie

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Aug 17 22:43

Hou have a database in sqlserver that is probably created with an older version of PSU compared to the PSU version that created the Postgres database. Make sure that the PSU version used to create the posgresql database is identical to the PSU version that created the sqlserver version....or visa versa: install the same PSU version for sqlserver and start that once to upgrade that database to the same level.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcurrie

Post by gcurrie » 10 Aug 17 23:12

Ah. I think I get it. I have PSU SQL Server v2 and PSU PostgreSQL v3.

So, if I understand correctly, I need to:
1. Update my existing client apps to PSU SQL Server v3.
2. Connect a client to the database to upgrade it to v3.
3. Now run data migration tool to convert database from SQL Server to PosgreSQL.
4. Uninstall all PSU SQL Server clients and install PSU PostgreSQL clients.
Gordon Currie

gcurrie

Post by gcurrie » 10 Aug 17 23:28

Reading your reply, it looks like you said exactly what I am doing.

So as soon as it is done upgrading to v3, I will run the data exchange tool again.
Gordon Currie

gcurrie

Post by gcurrie » 11 Aug 17 2:01

After 2 hours, error:

An error occurred while applying the updates in a record: TPostgreSQLConnection: Execution of query failed (PostgreSQL:ERROR out of memory DETAIL: Failed on request of size 122880.

Severity: ERROR
SQL State: 53200
Primary Error: out of memory
Error Detail: Failed on request of size 122880)
idSearchData

Any idea what I can do to get this completed? I have 8 GB RAM in the server.
Gordon Currie

gcurrie

Post by gcurrie » 11 Aug 17 6:46

Well second time was a charm. V3 and PostgreSQL result in a welcome speed boost and robust feeling.
Gordon Currie