disk I/O error (0) (0)

acertain

disk I/O error (0) (0)

Post by acertain » 27 Apr 17 2:55

I haven't been using Photo Supreme for a while, so I don't know if this behavior is due to an upgrade or something else, but I'm finding if I keep the process running for more than a few hours, everything stops working. The symptoms are mostly that nothing happens when I try to do things. For example, if I try to import photos, it tells me that all the photos are already in the catalog. If I select a photo and click on details, all the fields are blank. If I click on "Assign" to look at the tags, there's nothing there (when I say nothing, I mean nothing - it's just a uniform grey rectangle). If I try to switch tabs or click on something in the left-hand nav to bring up all the photos in a category, I get a dialog box saying "DIsk I/O Error (0) (0)." Sometimes I get Access Violation. If I restart Photo Supreme, everything is fine (until it isn't again). This didn't used to happen.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing? Apparently not, as I searched the forum and found exactly zero hits. I can submit a bug report, but any advice on how to get it to go away?

Thanks.

Andrew

Hert

Re: disk I/O error (0) (0)

Post by Hert » 27 Apr 17 8:25

An unhealthy disk? Try to scan your hard drive for errors. Then do a compact of the PSU database.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

acertain

Post by acertain » 27 Apr 17 16:19

The storage is a ZFS RAID-Z2 cluster with no errors. When I went to Tools -> Catalog, I got a spinning circle, Windows reported Photo Supreme not responding and then the menu closed. So I installed sqlite and vacuumed the database manually (it went from 490MB to 420MB). I then reopened Photo Supreme, and Tools -> Catalog gave me the same behavior (spinning circle -> not responding -> menu closed).

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 27 Apr 17 22:01

This does not sound like a RAID issue, but one to do with the computer itself, or the OS.

Disk I/O errors could be caused by several different things...
--Check the connection between the motherboard and the drive, and the power supply and the drive.
--The drive, or your CPU, or your power supply could be overheating
--The drive could be failing, or has bad clusters. A disk scan** is indicated, as Hert mentioned.

Are you having issues with any other applications and/or other error messages?

**If you are using Windows, open a command prompt (admin) and run the following command sfc /scannow, and let it run to completion.

From Microsoft Support: sfc /scannow

You can also download the free app 'Speccy' from Piriform. It will show the temperatures of the various components, including your CPU, GPU, Motherboard and hard drives. The app also provides much more information. Highly recommended.

One other note: It helps if you could tell us which OS you are using.
--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

acertain

Post by acertain » 28 Apr 17 4:46

What I mean is that the storage is on a separate server running ZFS. ZFS constantly monitors for bad blocks, sectors, drives, even bit-rot and repairs or alerts. It's running well with no problems. I just forced a new scan. There definitely aren't any disk errors.

No other programs are having any problems at all. And Photo Supreme only has problems after I've left it for a while.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

So maybe we can start with the problem where when I try to select Tools -> Catalog, I get not responding and then the menu closes. I just tried it again and this time after the menu closed, the whole program crashed (Windows gave me the "stopped working" dialog). Are there any debugging options I can enable to try and get a more-helpful trace?

Andrew

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 28 Apr 17 15:44

Open Event Viewer and then look in Administrative Events. You should see errors when PS crashes. You could then send the error codes and related info to Hert via e-mail. Armed with this info, he may be able to help you track this down.
--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com