Is it possible to display the day of the week in the Date panel?

barneagle

Is it possible to display the day of the week in the Date panel?

Post by barneagle » 24 Apr 17 21:04

If I select thumbnails by Date the Date panel on the left of the screen shows dates in the format "2017-04-01" and so on. Is it possible to change the display so that it shows "2017-04-01 Sat", "2017-04-02 Sun" and so on?

barneagle

Re: Is it possible to display the day of the week in the Date panel?

Post by barneagle » 27 Apr 17 9:35

I assume the lack of response means the answer is "No". I've found that I can display the day of the week under each of the thumbnails by inserting the code

Code: Select all

%ddd %dd-%mm-%yy %hh:%nn:%ss{encode=html}
in Custom Thumb Info (accessed by clicking on the View button near the top right of the screen). I would still prefer to see the day names displayed against each of the dates on the left, but having them under the thumbnails provides a workable alternative.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 27 Apr 17 15:00

Could you supply a screen shot so that we can see where you are wanting to place this info please?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2589. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

barneagle

Post by barneagle » 27 Apr 17 17:23

The date panel on the left shows "2017-03-03", "2017-03-04", etc. It would help me if this showed "2017-03-03 Fri", "2017-03-04 Sat", etc. or something similar.
As I said, it's not a big issue because I have found out how to show the days under the thumbnails, but when I'm browsing by date I would be able to track down the pictures I'm interested in just a bit more quickly if the names of the days were shown against the dates in the panel on the left.
Photo Supreme screen snip.JPG
Photo Supreme screen snip.JPG (122.48 KiB) Viewed 896 times

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 27 Apr 17 22:04

I see what you mean but, as you say, it's easy to add them in the thumbnails.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2589. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 28 Apr 17 2:33

Barneagle,

The only possible solution I can think of would only work if you store your photos in a directory structure that is date based. I do that so I could easily accomplish what you would like to do. My subfolder naming rules put my files into a directory structure by year | month | day but the names of the subfolders are formatted as yyyy\mm\yyyy-mm-dd. All I would have to do is change my naming rule slightly to use a different date format when creating the day subfolders and then I could look at my catalog by folder and see what you want to see. Something like yyyy\mm\dd-ddd

The biggest challenge for me would be to rename all of the subfolders that I already have but I'm sure with a little thought and some research I could figure out a way to do that. If you don't use a date based folder structure then this probably will be of no help to you but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case you do.
Tom Stoddard

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 28 Apr 17 10:17

PSU unfortunately is one of the few programs that insists on overruling the general Windows time and date settings. I have no idea why. On purpose I have my Windows Short Date set to dd-MMM-yyyy, today's date is displayed for example as 28-Apr-2017. PSU however insists on displaying that date as dd-mm-yyyy. In the Details panel the date thus gets displayed as 28-04-2017, in the tree as 2017-04-28 (same as your screenshot).

I find this fairly annoying, mostly because the date format that PSU insists on using is not unambiguous. For example, in the US the month typically gets cited first, then the day, so a date written as 04-07-2017 could be either the 7th of April or the 4th of July. :?

In your case: The fact that PSU insists of overriding Windows default settings also means, of course, that the name of the day of the week also cannot be displayed. :mrgreen:

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Apr 17 11:20

fbungarz wrote:
28 Apr 17 10:17
I find this fairly annoying, mostly because the date format that PSU insists on using is not unambiguous. For example, in the US the month typically gets cited first, then the day, so a date written as 04-07-2017 could be either the 7th of April or the 4th of July. :?
This is incorrect. In the details, the date sequence and separators are as configured in Windows. But always numeric. In the US, the typical date format is mm/dd/yyyy and that is how PSU also displays it.
dates.png
dates.png (14.61 KiB) Viewed 808 times
In your case: The fact that PSU insists of overriding Windows default settings also means, of course, that the name of the day of the week also cannot be displayed. :mrgreen:
That is also incorrect. The Timeline (By Date) is organised hierarchically....year->month->day, that has nothing to do with system preferences. It would be odd when you have a Timeline that goes from day->month->year, simply because you have a dd-mm-yyyy setting configured in the OS. PSU displays the timeline in the hierarchical order. It displays as 2017->2017-04->2017-04-28 Each level adds a part. That is consistent and the sort order will be correct.
Then back on topic; the day name is not displayed in the hierarchy. Showing the day name in the hierarchy was never requested by anyone in 12 years. One person may like it, others would hate it.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

barneagle

Post by barneagle » 28 Apr 17 15:39

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I had hoped to find that there was an option to change the display (with an option, no one would have to "hate" it!) but I am content to accept that there is not.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 28 Apr 17 19:36

Sorry Hert,
please have a look at the screenshots below. Clearly PSu does NOT display the date in the details panel according to the Windows settings. On the left my windows settings dd-MMM-yyyy, on the right the way PSu displays the date dd-mm-yyy:
PSU_TimeFormat.jpg
PSU_TimeFormat.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Of course, what you say about the timeline makes perfect sense! But incidentally, I did not mean to question the sort order of the timeline at all. Of course sorting by day-month-year makes little sense and even worse would be sorting by month-day-year. What a chaos!
What I was referring to again was the notation format. So, having configured my system as dd-MMM-yyyy, I would expect the tree too look like this:

---Mar

and not:

OK, I'll better shut up now. Did not mean to hijack this topic. :wink:
Sorry...

Frank