move or copy via share with help

mantras

move or copy via share with help

Post by mantras » 15 Apr 17 16:53

Hi

i would like to ask a question about moving or copying files via share with feature

is there a way to copy photos (keep all my photos on my source location) to another destination or move photos (without keeping my photos on my source location) with share with feature ?

i have create 2 profiles ->share with ->transfer profiles ->folder transfer

but can't find the option to copy or move

thanks
happy Easter
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows 8.1 and 7 64bit,photoshop cc bridge cc and dxo 9

Stephen

Re: move or copy via share with help

Post by Stephen » 15 Apr 17 18:45

The share feature is designed to copy files to another place, in your case you can chose or create a folder to your liking.

It's not for moving, unless I am mistaken. You could delete the images in the original folder after copying, if you wish, but then the database will no longer know about them. In that case you would have to point to the new location and 'import' them without copying.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2589. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

mantras

Post by mantras » 15 Apr 17 19:08

Stephen wrote:
15 Apr 17 18:45
The share feature is designed to copy files to another place, in your case you can chose or create a folder to your liking.

It's not for moving, unless I am mistaken. You could delete the images in the original folder after copying, if you wish, but then the database will no longer know about them. In that case you would have to point to the new location and 'import' them without copying.
Hi
good point about moving , i guess for moving i have to use folders and drag my photo where i want to move
thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows 8.1 and 7 64bit,photoshop cc bridge cc and dxo 9

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 15 Apr 17 19:36

Be careful about moving within your file system because PSu cannot follow what you are doing.

If you want to move images from location A to location B, then you might consider importing them from within PSu. At the time of import you can add any data you wish like copyright, ratings, etc. and also rename them. I'm doing this on a regular basis to 'move' older files to a new location and rename them to a consistent scheme. After import you can select location A from within PSu and delete the files and their reference in the database, or just the database info if you wish to retain the original files in their original location.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2589. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 15 Apr 17 20:11

I guess for moving i have to use folders and drag my photo where I want to move
You can easily move images from within PSu...
  • Go to Folders View
    Open the folder containing the images you want to move
    Select the images you want to move.
    Ensure the destination folder is visible.
    Drag the images to the new location.
All of the metadata will be preserved.

Just a note on copying images...

When you copy and then paste images to a folder from within PSu, the metadata does not carry over (at least that is what happens on my system). Here is what I do...
  • Use Windows File/Windows Explorer to copy and paste the images.
    Back in PSu, 'verify' the destination folder.
--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com