Advice on moving images to a NAS

RickHeath

Advice on moving images to a NAS

Post by RickHeath » 02 Mar 17 14:31

I'm using the standalone version of PS (v3.3.0.2582) on Windows 10 Pro.I have recently got a NAS (6TB of storage should keep me going for a while) & upgraded the network to Gigabit so things should move quicker.

I wanted to move all my images to the NAS (& possibly the catalog - if not it will at least be backed up onto the NAS). Is is just a case of copying everything across & pointing PS at the new location? Are there are any issues I should be aware of in moving stuff to a networked location (I have no need for multiple user access in PS but it will be useful to have the images themselves accessible from other devices without having to fire up the PC they are currently on).

Thanks.

weidmic

Re: Advice on moving images to a NAS

Post by weidmic » 02 Mar 17 17:35

Rick,

I would backup/copy all images to the NAS propably with a backup program that verifies the copy)
Then within PSU click on the folder icon to get into the folder view.

Once there, right click on the "drive old path" and then click "map to correct the physical folder"

This is it.

Of course you can move your catalog to the NAS too, but be advised - it will make PSU much slower!
Just copy both files to the new location and point to the new location when the user/password window appears.

Hope that helps
Michael
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com

RickHeath

Post by RickHeath » 02 Mar 17 22:13

Thanks.

That sounds as though it should be fairly straightforward :lol:

Any recommendations on a backup/copying program?

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 03 Mar 17 0:01

Any recommendations on a backup/copying program?
Rick, I use Acronis True Image. Macrium Reflect also gets good reviews. Macrium Reflect does have a free version, but it is stripped down and may not do what you need.

I have used Acronis True Image for years and have found it to be very reliable, and the new version is even easier to use.
--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 03 Mar 17 0:28

I use syncback for years, which is easy to use...
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 03 Mar 17 3:08

I use Chronosync on a daily basis.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2589. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

RickHeath

Post by RickHeath » 03 Mar 17 22:38

weidmic wrote:I use syncback for years, which is easy to use...
Thanks - It reminded me that I had a copy of V5 lurking in the system. :D

RickHeath

Post by RickHeath » 05 Mar 17 17:36

weidmic wrote:Rick,

I would backup/copy all images to the NAS propably with a backup program that verifies the copy)
Then within PSU click on the folder icon to get into the folder view.

Once there, right click on the "drive old path" and then click "map to correct the physical folder"

This is it.

Of course you can move your catalog to the NAS too, but be advised - it will make PSU much slower!
Just copy both files to the new location and point to the new location when the user/password window appears.

Hope that helps
Michael
Thanks again. That all worked without issue! :D

There were a couple of slightly worrying moments in the process.

Firstly, when I started the copy (using SyncBackPro v5) & it estimated the time to complete as 57 days initially. The estimate rapidly dropped to under 24 hours & it actually took around 12 hours to copy around 1.6TB of files (I left it to do its stuff overnight).

Secondly, PS went into "Not Responding" mode for a disconcerting length of time when I did the "map to correct physical folder" but came good in the end.

I decided to leave the catalog alone.

Rick.