Which date is which?

LifeIsLong

Which date is which?

Post by LifeIsLong » 27 Jan 17 20:02

So I import pictures and use "picture taken" date to create a prefix for the filename. Everything is good and the datestring in the filename is what I expect. But then I hit ctrl+shift+d and the date is the current date/time (when the pictures were imported).

If PSU knows the date to make the correct filename, why does it see the incorrect date within the file?

fbungarz

Re: Which date is which?

Post by fbungarz » 27 Jan 17 21:06

Using CTRL+SHIFT+D here brings up the Change Date dialog and on my system the dialog per default shows the Photo Date when the image was taken.
Are you suggesting that is different on your system?
What happens if you try sorting by date?

BTW - I find it quite useful to add a line with the date as thumbs info, e.g. this one:

Code: Select all

<font color="#FFFFFF">%d{encode=html}-%mmm{encode=html}-%yyyy{encode=html} %hh{encode=html}:%nn{encode=html} h</font>
On my system it show the date & time when the photo was taken.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 27 Jan 17 21:41

Yes, the date in the modify date dialog is the picture's PSU-recognized date/time.

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that the date recognized by PSU "after" import is different than the date recognized "during" import.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 28 Jan 17 12:42

So my import filename settings are:

yyyymmdd-%FileName

And when I do this on 2017-01-27 for a photo taken on 2016-12-05 I get a filename like this:

20161205-IMG_0290.jpg

But when I look at the photo date in PSU (%yyyy-%mm-%dd on the custom thumbnail, or by opening the re-date dialog), I see 2017-01-27. This does not happen to all photos, usually ones I get from a cell phone. I understand that cell phones may not write metadata correctly, but I'm confused as to why PSU can identify the correct date in one action, but not in another. Am I using the wrong macro values?

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 28 Jan 17 23:59

This is an unconfirmed guess.

Many dates may be recorded in metadata. PSu has a set of rules to determine which of them is used as the "photo date", as summarised in http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... te#p103498. From this you can see that if "date taken", "date digitised" etc are not available to PSu from image metadata then the file modification date is used as the "photo date"

When the camera/phone first writes an image the file date will be the date taken although the time may be a little out. If Exif etc is not available to PSu then renaming during import will be based on the file date and come out OK. But the file modification date will become the date of import and, still lacking the "proper" metadata, PSu will default to using this for subsequent operations such as redating.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win7x64)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 29 Jan 17 20:24

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that the date recognized by PSU "after" import is different than the date recognized "during" import.
Like I said, on my system that is NOT the case, on my system BOTH dates are the same and both are the "date taken/date digitized" and definitely NOT the "modified date"! I think PSu would be fairly useless, if it sorted the images by "modified date"! After all, the "modified date" is the date a photo was last last "modified", i.e., re-saved by some software like Photoshop or DxO. That date is pretty much irrelevant for managing the files in a database like PSu.

Much worse would even be the "date created" - which is the date when you copied the photo onto your hard drive. On every computer the "date created" is thus different.

In any case - if available PSu defimitely uses the "date picture taken" and that date also show up per default as the starting point if you manually want to re-date the images (in the "re-date dialog").
Jstartin already quoted the relevant topic, which also explains very well how PSu prioritizes dates... I agree with him that the only explanation for your experience can be that some of your files have either incomplete or corrupt metadata, i.e., the "date taken" is not present and another date therefore is being used instead.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 29 Jan 17 23:10

Yeah, jstartin's reply makes some sense... my biggest problem is how to fix the files so I dont have to manually set the dates on every file!