When Out-of-Sync fails

vkfoto

When Out-of-Sync fails

Post by vkfoto » 16 Jan 17 13:29

I was having a persistent image that would not sync in the Status (out of sync) tab. The little red dot stayed and the image would not be removed. Later I was did a verify folder and the image was removed.

Is is supposed to work that way? There was no error message when Out-of-Sync finished to indicate that the image was not found and suggesting that a Verify folder was in order. Better yet, run a verify folder automatically when any Out-of-Sync images remain once that command has completed and there are still images in the Status (out of sync) tab.

fbungarz

Re: When Out-of-Sync fails

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 17 22:45

Is is supposed to work that way? There was no error message
The short answer: yes, there is good reason, why this is the way it's supposed to work and good reason why there is no error message for something that is actually not an "error" at all.

And now my attempt providing a more elaborate answer:
I was having a persistent image that would not sync in the Status (out of sync) tab. The little red dot stayed and the image would not be removed.
There are several reasons why an image will not sync: (1) the file may be protected by the operating system as "read only", (2) PSu might be in travel mode, (3) the hard drive where the image is located is not attached, or (4) the link between the PSu database and the physical location of the file has been severed (creating database "orphans").
Later I was did a verify folder and the image was removed.
Verify (at least automatically!) does not remove images. What it does: it checks if a file is present in the folder that is being verified. If a file has been moved or deleted from a particular folder, then you have the option to remove that void database reference (= the "orphan") from the PSu catalog or you can tell the program where that particular image is now located.

There is very good reason, why neither one of these to options is invoked automatically and the command to remove a "missing link" most definitely must not be executed automatically by syncing an image! As explained above, there are several scenarios where syncing cannot be executed. Even if a file is missing (no. 4) most people would not want to have that orphan automatically be removed from their database. Instead they probably would want to investigate what caused the file to be missing. If they move it, they probably want to update the database link. If they accidentally deleted the file they most likely would want to restore it from backup. Only if they actually intentionally deleted the file would they probably choose to also get rid of the empty reference that still persists in PSu (= kill the orphan).

In any case - the best advice to avoid a scenario like that in the first place: use PSu for all your image management (including deleting a file), not the operating system file explorer! I agree, deleting a file inside PSu could be faster, more efficient. In my experience the process can even be quite buggy, especially if you try deleting entire folders from within PSu...
Still, deleting files outside PSu is ill-advised: you'll end up with lots of orphans. And to clean up your catalog you will then have to them remove anyway. So, unless you simply ignore these orphans, you do not gain anything by deleting images outside PSu.

vkfoto

Re: When Out-of-Sync fails

Post by vkfoto » 17 Jan 17 1:26

So six one, half a dozen of the other. Quick deletions or fewer orphans to take care of. I guess it will depend on what I'm doing and how many I need to delete at one time and where they are.

I didn't mean to imply that Verify removed the image, it confirmed that the image had been removed and then removed the orphan reference in PSu.

Still getting the hang of things in PSu. Pretty comfortable with the labeling and finding duplicate images from the days before PSu when I would create new folders with copies of images. Now I just need to label and rate them appropriately. I noticed that the star rating applied in PSu is visible in DxO so that will help reduce the clutter of extra copies and folders.