What happened to my xmps?

Larry56

What happened to my xmps?

Post by Larry56 » 10 Jan 17 7:27

I just noticed that photos taken in the last 3-4 weeks don't have xmp files associated with my RAW CR2 files. I've assigned labels and IPTC information but no xmps.

Shouldn't there be an xmp for all RAWs? Looking back through older files I see xmp files and I don't think I've made any changes to PSu.

Hert

Re: What happened to my xmps?

Post by Hert » 10 Jan 17 7:40

I don't think I've made any changes to PSu.
Can you share a screenshot of your XMP Synch settings for Writing? Find it in Preferences->Synchronise Settings->Write Settings
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 10 Jan 17 17:31

Here's the screenshot of my settings.
2017-01-09_222610.png
2017-01-09_222610.png (31.9 KiB) Viewed 948 times

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 10 Jan 17 17:41

You have "Allow embedded metadata writing to RAW files" enabled. That setting means your XMP is written by PSu into the metadata header of your file and not stored as a separate xmp sidecar file.
Either you recently must have changed that setting OR you previously used a camera or a third party product that generates separate xmp sidecars.

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 10 Jan 17 19:29

@fbungfarz - I think that's what was happening. It dawned on me a few minutes ago that my usual workflow is to import in PSu -> catalog/IPTC in PSu -> open Lightroom and edit some files. I suspect that's when the xmps were created and for the last few weeks I haven't had any photos I cared to spend time on so they were never opened in LR.

So, I shouldn't have the "Allow embedded metadata writing to RAW files" enabled as a normal procedure? I can't say I understand that setting. I didn't think RAW files allowed metadata writing anyway.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 10 Jan 17 19:43

So, I shouldn't have the "Allow embedded metadata writing to RAW files" enabled as a normal procedure? I can't say I understand that setting. I didn't think RAW files allowed metadata writing anyway..
Per default that option is disabled, so you must have enabled it at some point.
You are correct that native camera RAWs (unlike DNG) are not designed for XMP. That does not mean writing XMP to these files is not possible. It is possible, but comes with a certain risk of file corruption. Some people do not like sidecar and prefer to take that risk. What you decide depends on your personal preference. Do you not like sidecars? Then can enable the setting, even though your camera vendor does not officially support it and some programs may perhaps give you some trouble. In the early days (ca. 10 years ago) I experienced some serious file corruption trying this out. These days people generally consider it quite safe (I personally keep it disabled).

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 10 Jan 17 20:04

Thank you. I have unchecked the option.

Mke

Post by Mke » 10 Jan 17 23:16

fbungarz wrote:Some people do not like sidecar and prefer to take that risk. What you decide depends on your personal preference.
FWIW, my personal evaluation is that it's more likely that sidecar files will become 'mislaid' at some point in the future (along with my painstaking work cataloging them) than that the image file will become corrupted, so I write to the files...

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 11 Jan 17 0:49

The reason I like xmp's is that backing them up is way faster and keeping several versions is not taking a lot of space on my drives...
So in the end I have one RAW file backed up and several xmp versions in the worst case...
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com