Corrupt photo dates

randym

Re: Corrupt photo dates

Postby randym » 08 Jan 17 1:10

What is the status on this issue? Given its potential seriousness, I'm surprised it has been inactive for so long.

Hert

Postby Hert » 08 Jan 17 8:38

Topic starter resized a few thousand photos and "a few" had corrupt dates. In 99.9% of the cases that is pre-existing corruption (garbage in is garbage out). Topic starter never provided samples with confirmed correct pre-existing photo dates and a click path to corruption.
I've stated this before: if PSU would have a date corruption issue then that would be something that would be reported constantly as dates are about the most important and visible metadata item of a photo.

Afaik there's no issue with corrupt photo dates. Do have an issues with photo dates?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Postby fbungarz » 09 Jan 17 14:08

I can only agree. If this was a regular, serious problem, then there would be tons of users complaining and be filing Mantis tickets to fix it. Like Hert I would strongly suspect that (1) either the dates were already corrupt in the first place, when the images were loaded into PSu, or (2) they were subsequently messed-up by third-party tools. In both cases PSu can hardly be blamed. There is always the potential that any software that regularly touches and modifies metadata will corrupt those. I have used the program (and its precursors) since 2006 and not experienced any case yet of serious metadata corruption.
The only major issue I experienced many, many years ago was the corruption of NEF files by allowing to let IDImager write metadata to these files. I never again enabled that setting. I also have been disillusioned a bit by DNG files, they generally seem a bit more prone to corruption than the original raws. I had a few DNGs in those 10+ years that got corrupted (no idea how, no idea if IDI or PSU was to blame) ...

randym

Postby randym » 10 Jan 17 16:45

Thanks. I did note that the topic starter was active on the forum as late as 12/31, so he or she apparently has not given up on photo supreme, as I would if I thought it was corrupting metadata dates.

barneagle

Postby barneagle » 16 Jan 17 20:19

No, I've not given up on Photo Supreme! (Sorry for the delay in coming back to this thread ... I have been busy on other things for the last few days.) I have used it to add keywords, ratings and descriptions to several thousand photos and so far as I now know it has not corrupted any of them.

When I encountered a different metadata problem I found that the data was wrong before the affected files were imported to Photo Supreme. As Hert says: GIGO! The same may well have been true for the photos with incorrect dates: at this stage I have no way of being sure. So I have no reason to suppose that Photo Supreme corrupted any data. I'm sorry I doubted the program, and I apologise if I have caused anyone else to doubt it.

Return to “Photo Supreme”