How do you display your pictures?

Jesperben

How do you display your pictures?

Post by Jesperben » 15 Sep 15 18:09

A sligthly off-topic question, but I believe this is the right place to ask it:

When you are done with all the metadata in PhotoSupreme, how do you display your pictures to friends and family?

Technical:
It is nice to use the TV in the sitting room when you look at your pictures with others. But I have never found the right solution, have you? I have an Apple TV, an older Western Digital media player, a five year old Sony "smart" tv, a Synology NAS and a good network. But when I try, things are slow, they won't show tiff´s and are not very friendly to the audience.

Metada:
How can our family and others use alle the nice metadata, that we add to the pictures? My wife would like to find old pictures with our son, our friends wedding or her great grandfather in black and white. But it is a big step to add a server-version of PhotoSupreme to her laptop or ipad just to give her the possibility to search. Is there an easy way to let her make a simple search in our thousands of pictures?

Rgds
Jesper
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

HCS

Re: How do you display your pictures?

Post by HCS » 15 Sep 15 21:35

I have thought long and hard about this and choose the easy way out. I have a website for my relatives (parents and in-laws) on zenfolio. I've given up that everyone (incl. my wife) should be able to search keywords besides me.

So i import, select in PSU and process the raws and output to folder. Then upload the processed ones to zenfolio. Then, i manually tag those as being on my website.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 15 Sep 15 21:37

Hello Jesper,

I share my photos as follows

> I use the service of SmugMug a lot to share collections with friends and relatives. To me this is the key method to display my photos. Here they can view the image as well as some metadata, mainly Description. If someone wants a specific selection I tend to do that myself and then upload it to SMugMug

> Using a cable I connect my PC to a TV and extend Windows so the TV is an extension. This means I use the TV to show the photo and have a collection displayed on the PC. Any photo I select from this collection is then displayed on the TV. Unfortunately I can not show metadata on the TV together with the image. But I update Date and Description with whatever comments I get back from the people directly in PSU

> If there is a need to it I will produce a paperalbum with some key photos. This album is quite often as a gift maybe when someone celebrates a significant birthday, maybe 60 years of age or so.

> In addition to the above, if there are just a few people, I show them a collection directly in PSU.

About letting other people have access tro metadata for (for example) searching I have no good answer. Usually I do the selection and show it to them.

Hope the above can be of any help

A small addition ... in addition to SmugMug I also have another server which I use for text. Here I write down any text which describes the overall information. This web-server then have links over to SmugMug where the photos are stored. Some times I add a link over to SmugMug which will display the image as part of the text. This smaller photo can then be made clickable to enable the visitor an easy way over to the gallery in SmugMug

Regards, Harald

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 15 Sep 15 23:18

I regularly show slide shows on either a digital projector or a television. I use Supreme to batch process the image files so they are JPEGs in the native resolution of the device being used, whether it is the projector or the television. Both the projector and television have built-in slideshow software, which allows me to present a slide show without having to hook up a computer; I simply insert a memory card or a USB drive into the projector or television.

I also maintain a Zenfolio website and I upload full-size JPEGs to it. I create those JPEGs in a batch process also using Supreme. That website keeps the metadata in the file that I choose to keep there. It's a searchable website.

Last, I also regularly participate at the Cambridge in Color website, which is a site for discussing photography and photos including getting critique about one's photos. I create the JPEGs uploaded to that website also using Supreme.
Last edited by Mike Buckley on 16 Sep 15 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 16 Sep 15 10:53

Flickr. I create a Flickr "album" for each event as required - whether that event be a holiday, someone's birthday party, etc.

Making use of the ability to restrict certain photos to myself only, family only, friends, or public, I can relatively easily adjust who sees what. (NB you can email anyone a link for the album that will show them all photos for the desired circle even if they are not a Flickr user)

Ipernity offers similar features.

My first step is to create a PSU portfolio for the desired event containing only the photos I wish to use.

Whether or not to use PSU's ability to synch a portfolio is discussed in another thread.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 16 Sep 15 20:18

I think Jesper raises some good questions that illustrate some of the limitations of today's technologies.
Jesperben wrote:Technical:
It is nice to use the TV in the sitting room when you look at your pictures with others. But I have never found the right solution, have you? I have an Apple TV, an older Western Digital media player, a five year old Sony "smart" tv, a Synology NAS and a good network. But when I try, things are slow, they won't show tiff´s and are not very friendly to the audience.
I have given this some thought over the years but have not seriously researched it. I suppose if we had enough money to go out and buy state of the art equipment we could come up with some way to sit on our sofa and view photos from my PC or server on our big screen TV. But, having enough money is a big "if". I have long fantasized having a big screen monitor than can easily display TV, DVD, and any content from my PC. Maybe there is a good way to do that but I don't know how. Perhaps an X Box or some sort of game console would allow that functionality. I'm not a gamer so I don't own one. I've considered buying one but have never been able to justify the cost since I don't play games and really don't want to start doing so. If I moved my PC into my living room and used a cable to connect it to my TV, that would work but then I wouldn't have my PC where I want it.
Jesperben wrote:Metada:
How can our family and others use alle the nice metadata, that we add to the pictures? My wife would like to find old pictures with our son, our friends wedding or her great grandfather in black and white. But it is a big step to add a server-version of PhotoSupreme to her laptop or ipad just to give her the possibility to search. Is there an easy way to let her make a simple search in our thousands of pictures?
Based on the replies posted so far, it seems that most people aren't trying to do what Jesper is asking. I too, upload photos to various sharing sites but that is not what he is asking. When you upload photos you select which ones you want to share. If I'm understanding him correctly, Jesper wants his family and others to be able to search their entire library and find photos based on certain criteria. PSU certainly enables this but it's not easy for others in our household to do.

One potential solution is to let other computers on the network to use other programs to catalog the images stored on the NAS device. I've experimented with Picasa in the past and found that it does allow you to search by keywords and possibly some other metadata fields. Picasa is supposed to catalog files in any folders that are added to it's library and will do so automatically whenever it is opened. It sometimes takes some time to do that. I haven't used it in quite a while so I don't know if it has changed or not. However, trying to do complex searches may not be possible or at least not easy. It's hard to beat PSU for that kind of functionality. In the end, it would really be best to have a networked version of PSU. It would be nice if there was a simple PSU viewer that could be installed on a computer that only allows viewing and searching of photos and video. That would be a great feature especially if it was available as a mobile app. If that existed, I might even consider upgrading to the network version and putting my photos out on a shared device.
Tom Stoddard

Mke

Post by Mke » 17 Sep 15 0:31

Technical:
No bright ideas on this one.

Metada:
Really, there's nothing to beat another copy of PSU.

Failing that, you could take a look at the oddly-named PhotoGrok Image, which uses ExifTool to build a catalog of sorts. It's freeware but requires Java. It's also rather basic, so maybe wouldn't suit your intended users. Once installed, you need to tell it which 'Tree Tags' you want it to work with - for example "PersonInImage,Event,Subject", then build the tree - that takes time, so experiment on a folder to two first.

Mke

Post by Mke » 17 Sep 15 0:34

tstoddard wrote:It would be nice if there was a simple PSU viewer that could be installed on a computer that only allows viewing and searching of photos and video. That would be a great feature especially if it was available as a mobile app.
Yes, it would...

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 17 Sep 15 11:16

tstoddard wrote:It would be nice if there was a simple PSU viewer that could be installed on a computer that only allows viewing and searching of photos and video. That would be a great feature especially if it was available as a mobile app. If that existed, I might even consider upgrading to the network version and putting my photos out on a shared device.
Totaly agree. Has this been suggested in Mantis?

KeesdH

Post by KeesdH » 17 Sep 15 20:39

For general publishing on the web I use Flickr.

For sharing with family and friends I use Synology Photostation, a native app running on Synology NAS servers. The advantages:
- easy and automaticly creating of albums
- standard views as album, in timelines or on map
- flexible creation of categories (like holliday, architecture) in which you can find your albums
- shows XMP tagging, geo locations etc if required
- creation of smart albums based on your tagging or the technical info (like all 15mm pictures)
- share pictures on social media
- and a lot more

Can be shared only in your home network, on the web, open or user or password based or shared by links to others

And an app is available on IOS, Android and Windows phone to view the photo's with the same felxibility as described above.

Look at Synology.com and try the demo version.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 17 Sep 15 22:15

KeesdH wrote:For sharing with family and friends I use Synology Photostation, a native app running on Synology NAS servers.
That sounds great.
  • Do you keep all of your photos on the server and your PSU catalog on your workstation?
  • How good is the search functionality in photo station? Can it do complex searches? Can it search any standard metadata fields?
  • Do you view your photos on your TV? If so, how well does that work? Is it sluggish moving from picture to picture or not?
Thanks for this suggestion. I'm definitely going to look into it. I'm just wondering how many more devices I can plug into the outlets in my home office.
Tom Stoddard

KeesdH

Post by KeesdH » 17 Sep 15 22:36

That sounds great.
Do you keep all of your photos on the server and your PSU catalog on your workstation?
I use a share on my NAS where I store all my original pictures (often RAW) and my developed JPG pictures. I use PSU to publish selections to folders in the Phote share on the NAS. The NAS automaticly pics up the "published" JPEGs and starts processing into thumbnails, processing tags etc.
How good is the search functionality in photo station? Can it do complex searches? Can it search any standard metadata fields?
The search function is good. Free text, tags, date ranges and combinations of those. Also the standard technical metadata fields, like aperture etc.
Do you view your photos on your TV? If so, how well does that work? Is it sluggish moving from picture to picture or not?
I do sometimes. You can with a mediaplayer connected to your home network. I normally use Chromecast which is being supported by the DS Photo app from Synology.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 18 Sep 15 11:34

Mke wrote: Failing that, you could take a look at the oddly-named PhotoGrok Image, which uses ExifTool to build a catalog of sorts. It's freeware but requires Java. It's also rather basic, so maybe wouldn't suit your intended users. Once installed, you need to tell it which 'Tree Tags' you want it to work with - for example "PersonInImage,Event,Subject", then build the tree - that takes time, so experiment on a folder to two first.
Thanks for the link to PhotoGrok... on-the-fly or custom tree-building is something I wish more programs did (PSU included). So far I only know of Foobar2000 that does it, but it is a really neat feature. I will definitely have to look at PhotoGrok some more.

vlad

Post by vlad » 18 Sep 15 13:44

Could you please explain what you mean by "on-the-fly or custom tree-building"? Thank you.

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 21 Sep 15 16:35

Thank you for all your help. You have given me a lot of inspiration.

I really like the idea of a small PSU view only-app - would be nice on a tablet too.

I will try PhotoGrok, Picasa and Synology Photo Station - since I already have a Synology NAS. I already upload some of my pictures to Zenfolio to give my cousins and other family a possibility to look at old family photos.
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family