PhotoSupreme Unexpectedly Quitting and/or Freezing

HRPhoto

PhotoSupreme Unexpectedly Quitting and/or Freezing

Post by HRPhoto » 10 Sep 15 19:10

Is anyone else having issues with Photo Supreme V3 (more specifically V3.1.1.2070) in regards to it unexpectedly quitting or getting stuck and giving you the rainbow wheel, and having to force quit? We've been using it consistently for the past few weeks keywording images, and it has done one of these two things up to 5 or 6 times in a day. We also cannot identify a common theme as to why it would be doing this (i.e. happens regardless of how many images we are processing). We've only been adding keywords to the images that we import...not doing anything else beyond this at the moment.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated!

Mike Buckley

Re: PhotoSupreme Unexpectedly Quitting and/or Freezing

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Sep 15 22:49

I don't use many software applications and Supreme is the only database application that I use, but of those that I do regularly use, the several versions of Supreme and its IDimager predecessor have always displayed the characteristic you mentioned far more often than any other application. That has been true across several generations of computers and operating system software. I'm a Windows user.

Oddly and very coincidentally, just a couple days ago I learned that if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del as if I am going to use the Task Manager to close the app, pressing that three-key combination solves the problem without even opening Task Manager. That has worked so far ever since I first stumbled upon it. It has only been a few days that I have used that process, so it might not be a permanent workaround. Even so, you might want to try it on your system.

Mke

Post by Mke » 11 Sep 15 0:58

HRPhoto wrote:Is anyone else having issues with Photo Supreme V3 (more specifically V3.1.1.2070) in regards to it unexpectedly quitting or getting stuck and giving you the rainbow wheel, and having to force quit?
I'm not experiencing that under Windows 8.1. In general use there is a lag of a second or four from time-to-time, occasionally a little longer when closing tabs (Mantis #2827), but the only time I get significant slow-downs is when I have a lot of other intensive activity going on in the background with other programs hogging the PSU cores - PSU graciously slows to let them get on with it (it would be good it was a little more assertive at times). However I find it very stable and I can't recall the last time it quit on me, or when I had to force it shut.

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 11 Sep 15 3:51

Which OS are you using? I am on Windows 10 64 bit, upgraded from 7, and I have had no issues with PSu with either one.

How much RAM do you have, and which other programs (apps, these days) do have running at the same time?

Open the Task Manager, assuming you're a Windows user, along side of PSu. Look at the Performance tab. Now do what you usually do when PSu slows down or becomes unresponsive. Look at Task Manager and see what's going on with memory use and CPU.

If your memory use is very high, or maxed out, try closing some open apps and see if that improves things. Again, assuming you're on Windows, Make sure your Paging File is large enough. If it's too small, and apps are using a lot of RAM, Windows can't keep up, and apps will become very sluggish or lock up.

Let us know what you find out.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

HRPhoto

Post by HRPhoto » 11 Sep 15 15:42

Thanks to all who replied! We are on a Mac, using OS 10.7.5. Wondering if it might be a memory issue?

vlad

Post by vlad » 11 Sep 15 16:25

Are you opening a lot of images in Light Table or full screen? This is what I noticed (multiple times) to significantly increase the amount of used memory - occasionally, up to the point where Photo Supreme becomes indeed unresponsive (for a couple of minutes, or even for good).

Mke

Post by Mke » 11 Sep 15 17:05

HRPhoto wrote:Thanks to all who replied! We are on a Mac, using OS 10.7.5. Wondering if it might be a memory issue?
As above, I'm not on a Mac, but memory / CPU may be an issue. Like Preson, I run with 16MB, and on a fast 8-core AMD CPU.

HRPhoto

Post by HRPhoto » 11 Sep 15 18:52

vlad wrote:Are you opening a lot of images in Light Table or full screen? This is what I noticed (multiple times) to significantly increase the amount of used memory - occasionally, up to the point where Photo Supreme becomes indeed unresponsive (for a couple of minutes, or even for good).
No, mostly staying on the "Assign" view so we can keyword. :/ And it keeps going back and forth between quitting unexpectedly and freezing.

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Sep 15 8:34

You could try a complete reinstall

1. Backup database and thumbs
2. Delete the application by dragging it to the trashbin and emptying the bin
3. Reinstall the software
4. Restore the database and thumbs (not the rest)

Does that help? Also, not that it matters for PSU but is there a reason to continue using such an old version of OSX?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

HRPhoto

Post by HRPhoto » 14 Sep 15 18:59

IDimager wrote:
Does that help? Also, not that it matters for PSU but is there a reason to continue using such an old version of OSX?
We will try reinstalling, and we are looking into updating to a newer version. Just don't use this computer day in and day out (until now since we have someone more devoted to keywording). :)

Thanks!

HRPhoto

Post by HRPhoto » 14 Sep 15 19:15

IDimager wrote:You could try a complete reinstall

1. Backup database and thumbs
Question -- if we are only using the single addition user, do I backup via the "Backup Photo Supreme Data" function? And then restore via the "Restore Photo Supreme Data"?

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Sep 15 22:31

Yes, that are the options to backup and restore.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 11 Nov 17 2:40

vlad wrote:
11 Sep 15 16:25
Are you opening a lot of images in Light Table or full screen? This is what I noticed (multiple times) to significantly increase the amount of used memory - occasionally, up to the point where Photo Supreme becomes indeed unresponsive (for a couple of minutes, or even for good).
I'm in build 3.3.0.2604 and use Light Table to preview and make a preliminary selection, either 2 or 4 at a time. After going through a thousand or so, PSu becomes sluggish or unresponsive. Sometimes to the point that I have to close it with Task Manager. I usually exit the program before it becomes to severe but is this normal behavior? Aside from restarting periodically, is there anything else I could do? Memory usage at the time of freezing is over 9 GB out of s total of 12GB. Using an i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, Win7 64bit.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 11 Nov 17 10:17

HRPhoto wrote:
11 Sep 15 15:42
We are on a Mac, using OS 10.7.5. Wondering if it might be a memory issue?
I might be the combination. I had this problem frequently when on 10.7.6
Do keep the tabs open in PSu down to a minimum. That might help.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2604. I stand behind the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 12 Nov 17 3:49

In my experience, on two Windows computers, one old (W7) with 12GB of memory and one new (W10) with 32GB of memory, once 50-60% of the memory is being used everything turns to molasses. In my simple mind this doesn't make sense. Maybe, molasses at 90%, but performance up to that amount shouldn't be compromised. The solution I use: close down the applications taking the most memory, let the computer catch its breath, and start again.

I haven't experienced this with Photo Supreme (and typically a few other programs are open), but I have experienced this with other photo related programs (and other programs are open).
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)