How do you work with metadata between versions?

Jesperben

How do you work with metadata between versions?

Post by Jesperben » 27 Oct 13 12:17

I have recently converted from IDImager, and I am not very familiar with PhotoSupreme. I hope to get advices from more experienced users.

In IDImager there is a function called "Cascade from selected image to the version set". It copies metadata - headline, description, copyright, keywords, rating among others - to all versions of the image. As far as I know there is no similar function i PhotoSupreme.

My question is: How do you achieve the same functionality in everyday work? Do your simply copy the information one field at a time? Do you let the Importer take care of it - and how? Or don't you find it necessary to have the same metadata in all versions?
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

tstoddard

Re: How do you work with metadata between versions?

Post by tstoddard » 27 Oct 13 14:05

I use a script to do this. There has been a lot of discussion around version sets and there are feature requests pending that may result in changes to versioning functionality in the next version of PSU. You might want to log into Mantis and review some of them. Here is a link to one that asks for a manual method for propagating metadata to all members of the verison set. http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1638

If you would like to see this functionality in version 2 of PSU, you should log into Mantis and add a "+1" note to this feature request.

The script I use is just one that I found in the IDImager script repository. I had to remove some lines from the original to enable it to run in PSU. It will replace all metadata in the version set's members so be sure to only use it if that is what you want. I'm not a scripting expert so I can't guarantee that this will do exactly what you want but it has worked for me. Here is the script:

Code: Select all

{
 Author: HB van Zwietering
 Version: 1.0.1
 Last Change: 2006-04-06

Description:

This version will cascade the meta data to the entire version stack. The script will always take the main version for every selected
 image and then cascade the main version's meta-data to every sub-version in the version stack. Beware that this overwrites the sub
 version's meta-data (Exif, IPTC and XMP) and replace it with the main version's data
 image and then cascade the main version's meta-data to every sub-version in the version stack. Beware that this overwrites the sub
 version's meta-data (Exif, IPTC and XMP) and replace it with the main version's data
}

var
  i: Integer;
  AMain: TCatalogItem;
begin
  if not Ask ('Are you sure you want to cascade the meta data to the entire version stack based on the meta data for the main version of the selected images?' + CrLf2 + 'Beware; This is permanent and is not undoable!!') then
    exit;

AMain := TCatalogItem.Create(nil);
  try
    for i := 0 to Selected.Count - 1 do
    begin
      if Catalog.FindImageCombined (Selected.Items[i], AMain, True, phtNone) then    // make sure we find the main version for the selected image
        Catalog.CascadeMetaForItem (AMain, Options.CachedXMP);                        // cascade the main version's meta data to all sub versions
    end;
  finally
    AMain.Free;
  end;

end;
Tom Stoddard

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 28 Oct 13 13:54

Thank you, Tom.

I have voted now!

I am not familiar with using scripts, but I will definitely try yours.
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

ketsko

Post by ketsko » 21 Nov 13 0:13

It has been confirmed that a "cascade" feature will indeed be implemented in the next version.

Ketil Skogen

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Jul 14 17:13

I'm not sure how this has been implemented (ticket 1638 is marked as resolved, without any note), but I can't seem to find any easy way to cascade metadata such as Headline or Copyright info.

If I open the Details panel for a JPG (main version) file which has headline and copyright info filled in and then I check "Apply to full version set", then all the previous information (for headline and copyright info) disappears from the Details panel and pressing Ok does not have any effect. Can you confirm this is a bug? Any advice to work around it?

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 14 8:34

Cascading over a version set allows you to cascade the full metadata (technical info excluded) to all images in the version set. Find the Cascade feature in the Version Flyout menu
cascade.jpg
cascade.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
If you only want to change a couple of fields for all images in the version set then you can use these steps:
1. Select a version set image
2. Right click -> Show More -> Fro This Version Set (or just press Ctrl+Alt+V)
3.Select all (Ctrl+A)
4. Change the details in the Details panel

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

KeesdH

Post by KeesdH » 20 Jul 14 8:18

IDimager wrote:Cascading over a version set allows you to cascade the full metadata (technical info excluded) to all images in the version set. Find the Cascade feature in the Version Flyout menu

Hope that helps
Hert,
I found this function however can you do this for several pictures in one go? I did not find this in the list of batch commands, nor in a menu and selecting more than one image and than perform the action does not seem to work.
Also combining cascading with versioning would be nice.

Kees

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Jul 14 11:12

Kees,

In the application you can only do it for a single version set. There's a script that does it in batch; http://www.repository.idimager.com/cgi- ... f46f80a8ba

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 13 Nov 14 21:25

For whoever stumbles upon this thread, here is an update: cascading for multiple version sets has been implemented in PSU V3. (I think the implemented functionality completely supersedes the referred script, although I'm not 100% sure.)

I have also requested global settings for automatic cascading of metadata across version sets (Mantis ticket 2633).

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 13 Nov 14 21:44

vlad wrote:cascading for multiple version sets has been implemented in PSU V3.
I use it and it works very well.