No votes
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 40

DirkS

Re: Creating your own custom fields / XMP Scheme

Post by DirkS » 30 Jun 08 18:44

Hi,

I get the same error message as frith when I'm trying to change the name of the new schema:
The Prefix/ID and the property prefix (before the colon) should be identical.
but I'm not as bright, so I cannot figure it out :roll: Anybody know the solution?

Gr
Dirk
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

frith

Post by frith » 30 Jun 08 19:57

Dirk,

Sorry I missed your post. I will look at it this week (swamped today) and see why I concluded that I had figured it out on my own.

Frith

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Jun 08 20:24

Dirk,

I'd be happy to look at what you've constructed if you can send me your default.idxmpdef and default.idxmpes files. The first contains the XMP schemas and the second one contains the editor schema (tabs in the Image Details)

support@idimager.com

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

frith

Post by frith » 30 Jun 08 20:31

Hert - I'll look at what I did first as I may have tested the functionality but not saved the work. Frith

frith

Post by frith » 01 Jul 08 23:50

I am reverse engineering (somewhat) what I recall doing.

Dirk's comment I think specifically refers to the fact that you have to call the XMP item by XXX:YYYYY where XXX is the short name you give to the schema when you create it. So if I create a schema that I call (short name) "RMW" then all the items in the schema have to be named RMW:YYYYYY such as RMW:DateCreated and so forth.

I need to look at it further but in general what I did was look at (by clicking on edit) some of the pre-existing schema items to see what was filled in and then used that as a guide to create my own.

I will keep looking at what I did as I have time. The issue for me was that I couldn't find any references to what should (or should not) go in each field (and what the impact is) so I had to learn by example.

Frith

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 02 Jul 08 0:36

Hi Frith,
frith wrote:So if I create a schema that I call (short name) "RMW" then all the items in the schema have to be named RMW:YYYYYY such as RMW:DateCreated and so forth.
I don't have to go that far to get the error msg... I create a new schema and want to change the descriptive name of the whole schema. Not that important, but since others apparently have done it (see example at the top of this topic) I should be able to do it too, me thinks :wink:
I thought you did get around that... or was it the missing step you were referring to?

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

frith

Post by frith » 02 Jul 08 1:54

I don't think I was ever able to get around the first error message. It happens if you try to follow step 5 and edit to rename the schema (in the thread it appears to have been renamed from http://www-unix..... to David Todd's XMP Schema. I did have a problem with this and may have just skipped over it (eg didn't rename the schema). But lurking in the back of my mind is that I may have found a way to rename it - that I found the error message was not indicating what the problem was and somehow I figured out how to do it. Anyway, I will keep looking at it.

frith

Post by frith » 05 Jul 08 0:31

I'm still looking at what I did to get past the edit name step short of just ignoring it. Can't figure it out yet.

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 05 Jul 08 0:39

Hi Frith,

Don't put too much effort into it... It's working just fine without renaming.

gr.
Dirk.

frith

Post by frith » 05 Jul 08 23:43

Dirk,

Appreciate that but would like to get to the solution. I get a little frustrated when things don't go as indicated (although it is often user error) but in this case there is a step left out of the instructions.

Frith

frith

Post by frith » 04 Aug 08 5:24

Huh????

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Aug 08 9:52

frith wrote:Huh????
Frith,

We started having problems with board-spammers again. I upgraded the forum software to the latest version yesterday but even then they seem to be able to get it.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

frith

Post by frith » 04 Aug 08 16:57

Hert - Thought that was the likely case. Thanks. Frith

SunnyUK

Post by SunnyUK » 15 Mar 09 13:22

I followed the instructions and managed to create my own XMP schema where I, among other things, intend to record which lens was used (my D80 doesn't seem to record this in the Nikon makernotes when I save as JPG although it does when the image is a NEF file). The definition looks like this:

I have (attempted to) limit the values so I get fixed strings for the various lenses. I did this by clicking on "Valid Values" and entering a list:

Then I added the fields to the image details screen and set up catalog labels for each of the lenses and mapped them to the new XMP field:

In the mapping, I had to tick the "ignore this label when generating keywords for XMP/IPTC, as otherwise I would get a keyword with the value of the catalog label.

Finally I assigned these new catalog labels to my images, exported to file (CTRL+SHIFT+F12) and uploaded to my website where I have a PHP script that extracts XMP information and populates the description of the image based on the fields. To my surprise, there is not any XMP block called "sunny" anywhere in the file. I can find references to the catalog label in ics:LabelName, but I assume this is where IDimager stores its own internal stuff:

I have double checked this finding using exiftool, and my newly defined XMP attributes are really not in the file.

I have checked that when I assing the "lens label" to a photo, the corresponding value is shown in the image details screen. So it seems that the mapping between labels and XMP works fine, the only problem is that the XMP isn't being output when I synch the file.

Any hints as to what I might have done incorrectly?

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 15 Mar 09 14:03

Hi SunnyUK,

I just checked if the D80 is recording for JPG's the LensInfo to the Exif. And it does...

Code: Select all

Focal Length	58.00 mm
Focal Length in 35mm Film	87
Lens Information	18-135 mm  F3.5-F5.6
Cheers
Michael
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com