Problem wih Catalog at different computers

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
siehorst

Problem wih Catalog at different computers

Post by siehorst » 24 Apr 14 10:43

Hi,
till now I never had problem using the same catalog at my desktop and laptop:
both computers are structered identically (software, partitions, paths ... )
So it was easy to copy the changed data (inclusive IDi catalog) from one computer to the other and keep on working.
Now I have got a new laptop, and for sure, this one is structered in tne same way the desktop is.
But now strange things are happenig to IDi catalog (and only IDi):
After copying the catalog from the laptop (both computers now win 7 64 / SSD) to the desktop,
- first the catalog folder showed the folder to be offline. I have been able to stop by setting a trivial name to the partition. but nevertheless, strange.
- thumb reader service will start when scrolling a list of photos and changing the catalog assingnment label to '0' for lots of pictures, but not all.
- though I have set the options identically, orientation of some thumbnails is changing
-
some other srange this I have to expölore further.
horst

siehorst

Re: Problem wih Catalog at different computers

Post by siehorst » 24 Apr 14 11:43

siehorst wrote: - ... I have been able to stop by setting a trivial name to the partition. but nevertheless, strange.
Sorry, that has been wrong, I have relocated the folder from 'E:/' to 'E/' - yeah, makes sense :) :roll:

Hert

Post by Hert » 24 Apr 14 11:57

Relocating E:\ to E:\ is indeed the solution and while I understand that that may appear strange for you at first...it isn't.

A medium is identified by its serial number and not by the drive letter.
For instance; let's say that you have a DVD drive with drive letter D:\. You put in a disk that has a file in the root called IMG0001.JPG and import the file.
The catalog adds the image D:\IMG0001.JPG

Then you remove the disk and put in another disk that also has a file in the root called IMG0001.JPG. You import that disk also.
The catalog adds the image D:\IMG0001.JPG

IDimager will tell you that the first IMG0001.JPG is offline, and that IMG0001.JPG is inline. How does it know that? Because the file reference D:\IMG0001.JPG is identical for both files. That is because the disk is not stored as disk D:\ but with its serial number; e.g. 32CA-72A8 for the first disk and 9AF2-D015 for the second disk. The same also applies for external hard drives that can share identical drive letters. Or network shares that can have any drive letter. The drive letter is not important...the drive;s serial number is.

Now in the light of this...when you copy the content from the laptop to your desktop then the serial number of the drive in your laptop is different from that in the desktop. And so if you *add* images on the laptop then you'll always have to relocate that on the desktop. If you don't add anything then you don't have to relocate either.

Of course this works the same in the successor of IDimager: Photo Supreme.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 24 Apr 14 15:55

Hi Hert,
IDimager wrote:A medium is identified by its serial number and not by the drive letter.
Yes in generell I know about this, but why has it worked all the years in the way I described without relocating?
(This has been the reason why I have choosen IDi)
What with the strange behaviour of the labels and the thumbnail service?
Though you are the master, no, the issue is something different.
And
Of course this works the same in the successor of IDimager: Photo Supreme.
means it is not a successor for me, especially for this:
http://www.hccm-consulting.de/galerie_u ... _2014.html
these gallerys are IDi and I havent' found a similar that is so simple and not overloaded with blinkyflashy but customizable in nearly every details.
horst

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 27 Apr 14 18:44

Hi Hert,
maybe you have not been so very lucky with my reply, but it is as it is:
I don' t know why and what has happened. Till yesterday IDi behaves like before. I can copy the catalog plus thum db from my desktop to the laptop and the other way round with no problem any more (and I have done so several times each time doing some changings in catalog and thumb-db).
Like before I don't have to relocate the partition regardless if it is a surprise because of a different hardware ID!
I really don't know what causes the 'hickup' after setting up my new laptop, but in the moment it is like I want it.

horst

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 Apr 14 18:53

hi Horst, Glad to read that it's back to "normal". As long as you don't add new images on the laptop you won't be confronted with the need for relocating.
means it is not a successor for me, especially for this:
http://www.hccm-consulting.de/galerie_u ... _2014.html
Ah the web publisher. Indeed, that doesn't return in Supreme. There are freeware tools that do the same. Also some that work with "folder display" and then you can FTP the images and the web server and the pages will will pic up the images for display.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system