.pld files?

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
Alain

.pld files?

Post by Alain » 25 Nov 13 11:34

Hi

I'm considering photoline to do my final tweaks. Is there a way to recognise .pld files inside IdImager, there seems to be a tumbnail inside the file. I don't use the editing capabilities from IdImager, but showing the tumbnail would be nice.

Alain

Hert

Re: .pld files?

Post by Hert » 25 Nov 13 14:01

Hi Alain,

If a Windows Explorer Shell Extension exists for the PLD format then IDimager will also use it through Windows.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 28 Nov 13 0:06

Hi Alain,
I strugled with the same some time ago.
My solution is to save everything I did in PL as a jpg version (isn't there a new feature in PL that is doing exactly that automatic? not sure about that), and using the versioning of IDi to look at and find the PL files.
horst

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Nov 13 0:36

If the pld format is added to IDimager (or Photo Supreme for that matter) as a non-image format then you can use THM sidecar files to use as thumb. A THM file is basically a jpg which uses the THM extension instead of the jpg extension.

Using THM files will save you the hassle of the version management.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 28 Nov 13 9:48

IDimager wrote:... A THM file is basically a jpg which uses the THM extension instead of the jpg extension....
Hi Hert,
I do know nothing about that. Is it just a thumb or something bigger, or can I set size and resolution?
Do 'save as' jpeg has the advantage of looking at a real picture from everywhere.
horst

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Nov 13 10:26

Horst,

What I means is that when you save a THM file for any non-image format (like the PLD format mentioned here) then PSU and IDI will use that THM file to generate the thumbnail.

1. Save a PLD file; e.g. MYFILE.PLD
2. Save a JPG file; e.g. MYFILE.THM

Now import that file in PSU or IDI and you'll see the thumbnail that is generated from the THM file. No need to make the THM file full-res. Just make it big enough for your convenience; maybe 480px?

The benefit is that you don't have to "manage" the THM file like you do now with versioning. The THM file is transparent for the catalog but is maintained as a sidecar file and so the THM file will travel with your PLD file.

Hert