using a short unique nr inside a exported file

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
Alain

using a short unique nr inside a exported file

Post by Alain » 02 Jul 13 23:45

Hi

I have a selection of a shoot that I want to upload to my website, with a unique nr that's known inside IDimager.
Basically I want a unique reference for the user without exposing my complex filename (and nr's with gaps).
So if a user gives that unique reference I'm 100% sure about the correct photo.

What would be the most advisable way?

(I can do it manually, but that's adding another administration.)

Mike Buckley

Re: using a short unique nr inside a exported file

Post by Mike Buckley » 03 Jul 13 1:30

It might be helpful to provide an example of the file name of the photo and the type of unique reference that you're thinking of providing.

Lacking that information, you could copy all of the pertinent images, version the copied images so they are automatically linked to your originals, and rename the copies in a batch process that sequentially numbers them. You could do all of that in one process by selecting the images and using Ctrl+Alt+F4. Alternatively, you could copy and version them in one process if you have that versioning option enabled in the Preferences. You could then rename the copies in a separate batch process using Ctrl+F2.

If you need help with the specific details, just ask.

Alain

Post by Alain » 03 Jul 13 21:45

Hi

An example of a filename : 20130517A850A2554.tif (or jpeg for the on the fly generated web files). I don't want to expose the last 4 digits (which are unique within the shoot, but all the rejects are also numbered. Something like shootnamexxx (where xxx are 3 digits) would be nice.

I understand you're suggestion, but I rather not keep the generated images inside idimager. At the moment I have a numbering with 20 logical sub number ranges (1-20 each), I could show "subdivision_xx" (where xx would be something from 1 to 20). Unfortunally then there's no link inside idimager.

Alain

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 03 Jul 13 23:54

Alain wrote:I understand you're suggestion, but I rather not keep the generated images inside idimager.
Once you generate them using one of the methods that I suggested, select all of the newly generated images and delete them from the database (not the disk).