Photos unexplicably going out of synch

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
Mike Buckley

Photos unexplicably going out of synch

Post by Mike Buckley » 28 Apr 13 16:23

My problem of a year or so ago of thousands of images suddenly going out of synch has suddenly returned. To give you an idea of the scope of my problem, I began the morning with about 3000 images suddenly and unexpectedly out of synch. At the time that I am writing this a few hours later, there are now over 16,000 images that are out of synch. During that time, the only thing I have done on my computer is to try unsuccessfully to synch my images and to post a few messages on a photo website.

So, I have some questions that will hopefully get me to the cause and solution of this problem:

1) When Synchronize Service is displayed in the Activity Panel, what does that indicate that is supposed to be happening?
2) Related to the above question, why is the Synchronize Service being displayed in the Activity Panel when I have not invoked synchronization?
3) When the Activity Panel indicates that the Synchronize Service is being applied to 10,000 images, why are only 3000 images found when I conduct a search of all out-of-synch images?
4) Even though the progress bar indicates that I have synched all 3000 images, I know that has not happened because it's not normally possible to synch that many images in only 2 minutes. That is confirmed when the images that were selected are still displayed as being out of synch. When I immediately conduct a search of out-of-synch images, the very same images are found, as would be expected except for the fact that the progress bar had indicated that they had been synched. Indeed, when I select just one out-of-synch image and try to synch it, it remains out-of-synch.
5) In only three seconds, the Activity Panel indicated that the Synchronize Service changed from 13,000 to 16,000 images. What could cause such a large change in such a short period of time?

Mike Buckley

Re: Photos unexplicably going out of synch

Post by Mike Buckley » 28 Apr 13 18:29

In the roughly two hours between this post and my previous post, the Synchronize Service being displayed in the Activity Panel grew to at least 18,000 images (that's the highest number that I saw, though I wasn't always watching the computer). The number eventually decreased to zero, as at this moment the Activity Panel displays no activity and all images in my catalog are in synch at least for the moment.

It would still be helpful to obtain answers to my above questions. That's because during the hours that the Synchronize Service was being implemented, IDimager was virtually unusable. If I tried to do anything on it, the "not responding" message would immediately be displayed. So, on this Sunday morning when I had planned to get a lot of work done, absolutely nothing got done.

george

Post by george » 09 May 13 23:24

The silence is deafening, huh Mike?
George

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 May 13 5:11

Thanks, George!

I have been in touch with Hert privately, so the situation has not been as deafening as it would seem. He provided a link to the script that clears the synch queue (spelling?), which helps in this situation to a certain extent. We don't know what is causing my photos to go out of synch. None of the software applications that I use would cause that to happen, so Hert suggested reinstalling Windows. I have declined to do that for a few reasons:

1) The situation is intermittent. I go long periods, perhaps for a year, before experiencing the situation. If something in Windows is causing the problem intermittently now, there is no reason to think that it won't happen after I reinstall it.

2) Regardless of what is causing my files to go out of synch, IDimager should not be automatically synching them. I don't use the auto synch. I don't use the file monitor. Despite that, IDimager is synching images on its own, which should not be happening. In fact, the problem is not that the images are unexpectedly going out of synch as my misleading title of this thread suggests; the real problem is that IDimager then automatically begins synching them, which makes it utterly unresponsive to anything I want to do until perhaps a day later when the images have finally been synched.

3) Given the above, either Windows, IDimager or both are malfunctioning, but only occasionally.

Considering that it is absolutely impossible to intentionally reproduce this situation even on my own system, I seem to have no rational choice but to wait for it to happen again, repeatedly apply the script that clears the synch queue, and let IDimager finish synching the images on its own.

george

Post by george » 10 May 13 15:49

Hi Mike. I'm glad you got it sorted for now, and I withdraw my snarky comment. It is a little disconcerting that there's a bug or unknown IDimager/Windows interaction that produces such freaky results, if only occasionally.
George

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Jul 13 13:00

I think I figured out the problem or at least one cause of the problem. IDimager seems to be inexplicably adding catalog labels to my images. (Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be removing any of them.) I remember this behavior was reported by several people in the forum years ago.

Though that would explain why the images are unexpectedly out-of-synch, it doesn't explain why IDimager automatically begins synching them when I'm not using any settings that would make that happen.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Jul 13 13:06

Wow! I just now saw it happen. I removed a catalog label while viewing the thumbnail within the Catalog Explorer, searched for all out of synch images, synched the image that I had just removed the catalog label from, returned to the same branch of the Catalog Explorer and a new catalog label had been added to the very same image.