Invalid Size Message

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
syntheticj

Invalid Size Message

Post by syntheticj » 07 Jun 12 4:10

Having problems when viewing images in the full screen view where after a couple of images I get a little white box with a red "X" through it with the message "Invalid Size". What could be call this? I don't see how to change a cache size or a location for cache, my PC has more than enough memory. Any help would be great, always got this from time to time but the images from a new body are huge and I get it only after viewing a couple of images.

So far I could close the full screen view and then reopen to view a few more unit I get the error or I have to close the app and reopen but it happens after at most 10 images.

Thanks!

weidmic

Re: Invalid Size Message

Post by weidmic » 07 Jun 12 7:11

Hi Syntheticj,

I have the same problem, but unfortunately there is no cure yet...
http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16499

Cheers,
Michael
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com

syntheticj

Post by syntheticj » 23 Jun 12 18:59

This was a problem all along with all my RAW NEF files and has made me consider looking for another solution, now with the Nikon D800's files it has become a BIG problem! Definately need a solution or I'm going to have to throw in the towel. I really like all the options and the versatility but if I can't preview files it is not worth wrestling with.

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 24 Jun 12 20:58

Hi

Just had a thought

Have you installed the Nikon Codec ? (and I don't have any reason to think it may be needed but :-))

I have a D800 and have no problems with Red Crosses / Invalid Size / etc..

I also have ViewNX and CNX2 installed ?

I have no idea if that would make any difference but I really have no problems viewing D800's NEF's - My Settings are Thumbs 260 and best + Preview 1680, store and best

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

bob350

Post by bob350 » 04 Jul 12 20:21

mphillips wrote:Hi

Just had a thought

Have you installed the Nikon Codec ? (and I don't have any reason to think it may be needed but :-))

I have a D800 and have no problems with Red Crosses / Invalid Size / etc..

I also have ViewNX and CNX2 installed ?

I have no idea if that would make any difference but I really have no problems viewing D800's NEF's - My Settings are Thumbs 260 and best + Preview 1680, store and best

MikeP
As indicated in the Product Questions thread on this same topic, I am another IDIMager user having problems displaying some (but not all) D800 raw files. I get an "invalid file size" message or sometimes (less often) an error display "Can't allocate the DIB handle (0)". Either way, the image won't display in LightTable. I installed Nikon ViewNX2, but that did not cure the problem. Photoshop CS6 Bridge and ViewNX2 can display the raw files without problem. I have IDImange set to use embedded preview pictures. For the most part, thumbnails display ok in IDImager, although sometimes I need to right click to refresh the thumbnail to abolish the "invalid image size" message. I have 12GB of RAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, i7 4-core processor at 2.67 GHz.

This really has an impact on my previous workflow. I was quite happy using IDImager to download, rename, add metadata,review, rate, and cull. I hope this gets developer attention. Rating and culling should be an essential part of cataloging/metadata software, so it feels wrong to be forced to use other programs for that. If it would be useful to provide additional information, I'd be happy to help.

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 05 Jul 12 6:22

Hi

Another suggestion is to look at the amount of "memory" IDimager is using at the time when you get "Invalid Size" or "Cannot Allocate" errors. (Ctrl-Shift-Esc?)

Even though you have 12g RAM - IDimager only can use about 1 gig (okay - don't flame me here :-) ) before it sometimes throws up its hands in despair!

I have found that rebuilding thumbs (not only with D800 files) after using IDimager to do a variety of operations can sometimes push it close to / over that limit and then the thumb rebuilding gives me "cannot allocate".

If that is the case then maybe try exiting and re entering IDimager and selecting and rebuilding the thumbs (or displaying in light table) as the first operation and see if that then works.

Worth a try

MikeP
Mike Phillips
D800, CNX2, Supreme

bob350

Post by bob350 » 05 Jul 12 11:04

Another suggestion is to look at the amount of "memory" IDimager is using at the time when you get "Invalid Size" or "Cannot Allocate" errors. (Ctrl-Shift-Esc?)

Even though you have 12g RAM - IDimager only can use about 1 gig (okay - don't flame me here :-) ) before it sometimes throws up its hands in despair!

I have found that rebuilding thumbs (not only with D800 files) after using IDimager to do a variety of operations can sometimes push it close to / over that limit and then the thumb rebuilding gives me "cannot allocate".

If that is the case then maybe try exiting and re entering IDimager and selecting and rebuilding the thumbs (or displaying in light table) as the first operation and see if that then works.

Worth a try

MikeP
Memory handling in Lighttable may be the problem. Currently, all thumbnails display correctly in media browser. For some, that was after I rebuilt the thumbnails. I opened IDImager, was able to display large images in Lighttable correctly until about the 24th image, then got the invalid file size icon. Shut down IDImager, started again, and could only open one image in Lighttable, then got the icon for all others. Here is the memory use data for IDImager.exe *32:

Open IDImager, display thubnails of images in folder via media browser

Lighttable showing large image correctly

Lighttable on selecting next image shows small icon with red "x" and "invalid file size" message
(but the micro thumbnail in the strip at the top shows the picture)

Lighttable showing same invalid file size icon on multiple images selected one after the other, even when they displayed correctly a moment before

Turn off Lighttable, show thumnails in MediaBrowser

Slidshow open displaying large image correctly
Note: Slideshow is able to display all of the images correctly, although it can take five to 10 seconds before the triangular advance to next image control appears and is active. Unfortunately, Slidshow does not allow zoom or rating.

Editor window shows images correctly, but I do my editing in Photoshop rather than IDImager.

Is there a way to help IDImager handle Lighttable memory differently? Do I just need to change workflow until IDImager comes out in a 64bit version?

Hope this information helps.

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 05 Jul 12 11:45

Hi

Yip - I think that confirms its a memory issue - and I can replicate exactly here with D800 NEF's (not using Database Previews)

My suggestion as an interim measure until the memory problem can be sorted out by Hert is to use database previews.

Under Tools - Options- Previews - Tick Store Previews. I use 1680 as a size with Quality = Best.

Then Rebuild the thumbs (select and F8)

Then in the Catalog Viewer make sure that the Green P at the top top right is On and green (that tells IDimager that it must use the preview database)

Then you can use the light table.

If you want to zoom in to an image beyond the "quality" of the database Preview then switch OFF the Green P = IDimager will now load the Image directly from the NEF file - using the NEF Built in JPG

Try this

Regards

MikeP
Mike Phillips
D800, CNX2, Supreme

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 05 Jul 12 11:53

Only problem is, that in the downloader you can't use the DB-previews...

I have really a big problem with this issue, cause I have to download all images first before I can cull my images...
huge files - long download time :( :( :(

This needs to be addressed soon!

Cheers,
Michael
Please visit my homepage http://www.senoiaphoto.com

syntheticj

Post by syntheticj » 05 Jul 12 14:29

Mike P, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize you can use the DB previews for the Light table view. This works! I do agree that it still is a problem and would rather sort and cull in the downloader but at least it will work once the images have been imported.

bob350

Post by bob350 » 06 Jul 12 10:47

Yip - I think that confirms its a memory issue - and I can replicate exactly here with D800 NEF's (not using Database Previews)

My suggestion as an interim measure until the memory problem can be sorted out by Hert is to use database previews.

Under Tools - Options- Previews - Tick Store Previews. I use 1680 as a size with Quality = Best.

Then Rebuild the thumbs (select and F8)

Then in the Catalog Viewer make sure that the Green P at the top top right is On and green (that tells IDimager that it must use the preview database)

Then you can use the light table.

If you want to zoom in to an image beyond the "quality" of the database Preview then switch OFF the Green P = IDimager will now load the Image directly from the NEF file - using the NEF Built in JPG

Try this

Regards

MikeP
The magic green "P" button gets me functional again. Already had been storing previews (1064 at "best"). So clicking the button to make IDImager use the previews lets me see and rate images in Lighttable without any "invalid file size" icons. Still looking forward to a memory handling repair, since these are quite a bit less detailed than displaying the original. Still, Slideshow displays the images large. And this interim solution is adequate for the majority of my rating/culling needs, and returns IDImager to working at normal speed again (a big plus).

Thanks

drewcrew

Post by drewcrew » 07 Jul 12 15:58

Thanks Mike and others, the suggestions here helped solve (or workaround) the problem I was having. This is a great community.

~Nick

tmartin

Post by tmartin » 22 Aug 12 13:50

Hi,

I have just upgraded my D300 to a D800 and wanted to confirm this problem. "Can't allocate DIB handle" and "invalid size" red cross in the light table for full size NEFs.

Previously, I sometimes had display problems with large panorama jpgs but with the D800 that becomes a bigger issue and general issue.

Hope that will be addressed in an upcoming release.

Regards,

Thomas

ketsko

Post by ketsko » 28 Sep 12 23:09

Any news about this issue??? I have recently acquired a D800, and now I have the same problems as everybody else in this thread. Unless this is fixed, Idimager functionality is severely reduced, especially - as mentioned by several - because culling in the downloader is impossible. It is quite obviously a memory problem, as everything works fine until a few images have been displayed. Then the program must be restarted - and if Idiamger is open, restarting only the downloader is no good - the main program also needs a restart.

(Frustrated) regards,
Ketil

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 29 Sep 12 1:30

Ketil,

You may not be aware that IDImager V5 has been discontinued and is no longer being supported. You might be interested in Photo Supreme, which is available in Mac and Windows versions at a discounted price to IDimager V5 licensees.