IDimager Broken by Avast! AV

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
MikeA01730

IDimager Broken by Avast! AV

Postby MikeA01730 » 04 Dec 15 22:05

Today I started IDimager and it wouldn't start. Uninstall was strange and IDimager install wouldn't work either. I had changed NOTHING since using IDimager the day before and yet when I started it all I got was 3 IDimager tasks running and nothing happening.

6 hours later I figured it out. My Avast antivirus software was breaking it. I won't bore you with the ugly details but when Avast is running IDimager fails and when it's enabled IDimager works just like it always did.

I'll yell at Avast! and we'll see what happens.

Mike

MikeA01730

Re: IDimager Broken by Avast! AV

Postby MikeA01730 » 04 Dec 15 22:17

Avast! support was helpful and actually nice. IDimager needs to be "excluded" from the AV. In the Avast! UI click Settings, then Exclusions. Under File paths enter the path to the IDimager program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\IDimager Products for me) and then click Add.

That's all there is to it.

Mike

PhilBurton

Postby PhilBurton » 04 Dec 15 23:41

MikeA01730 wrote:Avast! support was helpful and actually nice. IDimager needs to be "excluded" from the AV. In the Avast! UI click Settings, then Exclusions. Under File paths enter the path to the IDimager program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\IDimager Products for me) and then click Add.

That's all there is to it.

Mike

Mike,

This is still weird, and doing the exclusion doesn't get to the root cause. Are you aware of any other AV or anti-malware program that affects IdImager? There is a deeper issue. IF hackers know that IdImager is excluded from AV scans, they can try to replace the exe file or any of the dll's with corrupted versions.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

MikeA01730

Postby MikeA01730 » 05 Dec 15 2:17

Phil,

I agree this is weird. Not just that it happens but the symptoms. Each time I ran IDimager 3 identical IDimager tasks started. Each used no CPU time, did no I/O, used 116K memory each, had 26 page faults, and 1 thread. No word from the Avast! AV either: it's totally up to you to take a few guesses as to why one of your applications has just stopped working.

My guess is that the folk at Avast! just picked a virus signature for malware that accidentally matches the IDimager executable.

I discovered this because I use this AV and IDimager. I have no idea if any other AVs cause the same problem. I doubt if Avast! will fix this because the technician expressed no interest in finding out what program I was using: she just told me how to circumvent the problem.

I'm just glad I discovered the problem and I'm not trying to figure out how Photo Supreme works so I can process around 800 photos that should have been done a week ago.

Mike

PhilBurton

Postby PhilBurton » 05 Dec 15 6:11

MikeA01730 wrote:Phil,

I agree this is weird. Not just that it happens but the symptoms. Each time I ran IDimager 3 identical IDimager tasks started. Each used no CPU time, did no I/O, used 116K memory each, had 26 page faults, and 1 thread. No word from the Avast! AV either: it's totally up to you to take a few guesses as to why one of your applications has just stopped working.

My guess is that the folk at Avast! just picked a virus signature for malware that accidentally matches the IDimager executable.

I discovered this because I use this AV and IDimager. I have no idea if any other AVs cause the same problem. I doubt if Avast! will fix this because the technician expressed no interest in finding out what program I was using: she just told me how to circumvent the problem.

I'm just glad I discovered the problem and I'm not trying to figure out how Photo Supreme works so I can process around 800 photos that should have been done a week ago.

Mike

Mike,

This is all very weird since most of the AV companies share knowledge of known malware and there are third-party organizations that test for detection rate and false positive detection rate. Clearly IDimager is a false positive.

It's kind of discouraging that the technician didn't seem to care about the program you were using. Are you completely wedded to this company? If not, there are many credible and high quality alternatives. it's a pretty mature technology, so it's not like there is only one good company. Key point is that effective security today is NOT just anti-virus, especially the free kind. You need a full suite, including anti-malware, firewall, intrusion detection/prevention, browser protection, etc.
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

MikeA01730

Postby MikeA01730 » 05 Dec 15 14:26

Phil,

I'm not wedded to Avast! but also not willing to spend the time fooling around switching to a different product based on this problem. Over the years I've used many AV products and have come to the conclusion it takes a fair amount of grief to justify the effort of switching to a new one. Each of them have things that are undesirable or worse. Avast! isn't perfect but it will take more than this to drive me away. It's free, it appears to have a decent detection rate, it provides free phone support for users such as me who pay them nothing, and it seems to be very good at not hogging CPU & memory resources. That will do for now.

If you (or anyone else reading this) comes upon any additional information about what's going on here I'd appreciating their summarizing their findings here.

Mike

vlad

Postby vlad » 08 Dec 15 9:37

Just saying: rather than switching the AV, perhaps you could give some thought to switching (upgrading) the DAM: IdImager -> Photo Supreme. (Please excuse and ignore my suggestion if it doesn't fit your plans.)

fbungarz

Postby fbungarz » 08 Dec 15 20:28

For what it is worth - ESET Antivirus is light, updates regularly and fast and gives me no headaches with PSu.
Personally I never quite liked Avast, tried it and considered it a bit too intrusive...
Frank

Return to “Product Related Questions”